First shoot in U.S. with HVX200 now underway at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

First shoot in U.S. with HVX200 now underway

According to the Panablog (www.defperception.com), Michael Caporale of Cincinatti, OH has been hand-picked by Panasonic to do the first shoot in the U.S. with the HVX200. Of course, it's for a music video! Looks like some of this work will be shown at DV Expo West. Interesting reading at:

http://toshpit.blogs.com/the_toshpit..._sighting.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Check the first official frame, uncompressed tiff

http://toshpit.blogs.com/images/Car_headlights.tif
Mike Medavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Wrangler

I'll be the first...

WOW, IT LOOKS JUST LIKE FILM!!!

(heh heh heh, sorry, I had to. :)
It looks nice. Me wantee!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The car looks great. Just like film. The people don't. Too edgy on the tires. That matte looks like an apprentice using photoshop for the very first time. Is that really a video composition?
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

i hope this video isn't all green screen fx stuff. I would much rather have a couple of standard shots to see what this image looks like without having to judge the fx work and green screen stuff at the same time. Sorry to say it, but I'm disappointed that this is the first stuff we see from it.
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:22 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

It's one frame. I'd hold off on judgement until we've seen some more.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:25 AM   #7
Major Player

on the contrary

if it is G/S work then they've proven to us that the panny can do 4:2:2 colour sampling. thats a big step for a handheld camera
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:38 AM   #8
Major Player

That is fully greenscreened! Arg! Who cares how the camera performs in a composite that's only a test of it's colour space. They need to use it for real on location so we can how it actually holds up to real life, that's where it'll get the majority of it's use. How good it is for greenscreening is just an added bonus. Use real tried tested and true filmmaking techniques. How much of that picture is actually the hvx? Like 40%? They need to make a short film or something not some over stylized MTV video where you can't tell the real from the fake.

"Panasonic gave me no requirements and no limits, they just said, here’s the camera. They gave me all the flexibility to explore. I thought that testing this camera on a green screen shoot would be a good indicator of its quality. And it was. Best matte work I’ve seen. HDV GOP compression couldn’t have handled that."

That isn't a good indicator of it's whole quality that's an indicator of how good it is for matte work.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:42 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
They need to use it for real on location so we can how it actually holds up to real life, that's where it'll get the majority of it's use.
I agree, and I have no doubt they will. Look, this isn't "the first and last" frame grab... it's just the first... lots more samples are sure to follow from various sources through the next several weeks.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:31 AM   #10
Trustee

Actually green screen work would be one of the most usefull areas for this camera so I think this is a great first image. A lot of the people that really want this camera are those who have been begging for a 4:2:2 camera for many years for compositing. A "regular" shot may have shown us how nice the overall image is but it wouldn't answer the question that would be killing many people on how well it worked for keying.

If a camera works this well in a compositing situation it will clearly do much better in a non compositing situation. Just look at the car and picture that level of quality over the entire frame.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Very disappointed with this first picture. We have been waiting for an official image approved by a corporation as big as Panasonic, and this is what we get. Doesn't make sense. The shot contains aliasing, codec artifacts and I have pulled a better key blind folded with less than half the keying technology we have today to do a key.

Lets see some 1080p stuff shot.

Give the camera to Barry Green and company that shot the JVC material, and lets get this camera tested the real way and in 1080P......

Pappas
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Give the camera to Barry Green and company that shot the JVC material, and lets get this camera tested the real way and in 1080P......
From your mouth to Jan's ears, Michael, I'm rarin' to go (and I'm off those damn crutches, nothin' holding me back this time)!
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:18 PM   #13
Obstreperous Rex

The Gimp walks! Hooray!

And yeah, that's Charles Papert and company... of which Barry was certainly a part... but that JVC shoot belonged to Chas. Get your facts straight, Pappas!

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:32 PM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

Absolutely -- that was Charles' gig, he just invited me along to play but it was Papert all the way! And it looked fantastic too!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:11 PM   #15
Wrangler

Yes Chris, the Gimp has emerged from the basement, blinking his eyes against the harsh Cali sun...

The wounded hoof is doing pretty well, walking pretty normally and tentatively back to work...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders