Remote Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Remote Control

Does the HVX200 have remote connectors like the DVX100B for zoom, focus and iris control? Can't see this mentioned anywhere.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yeah, I was looking for the same information. Nothing I've seen so far mentions it. I would prefer LANC, but Panasonic has their own proprietary version on some of their other products.

I just got a DVD on the HVX200 from Panasonic. Maybe it has the info.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Okay, I took a very quick look at the DVD "HVX200 Countdown" that I just received today. The camera in the video looks like its a model and not an actual camera. Its a very good looking model, but there are a few things that don't look exactly right. For example, there is a door that covers some connectors, and when the door/cover diappears to reveal the connectors, there is no indication of how the cover attached to the camera. Another giveaway about the model is some of the silk screen labeling of the controls is crooked or scratched.

Anyway about the remote capabilities. On the aft section of the camera (right side, adjacent to the record on/off button, behind one of those mysterious doors I mentioned), there is a panel with four connectors: 1/8" headphone jack, USB 2.0 (like on a digital camera), another 1/8" jack labeled "CAM REM2", and a smaller (2.5mm?) jack labeled "CAM RAM1".

The voiceover of the movie only mentions the USB 2.0 port, nothing about the other connectors at all. I'm guessing the CAM REM2 port is Panasonic's proprietary remote connection. Perhaps the smaller connector is camera-to-camera timecode sync or similar.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Yes indeed the HVX200 will have remote connections just like the DVX100B for zoom, focus and iris control. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Any idea what the small "CAM REM2" connector is for?
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

On the DVX100B one connector is for the Zoom and stop/start the other is for focus and iris control. This looks like it has been carried over to the HVX200. That's good news. I have no interest in 24P ( terrible picture in my view) but being able to have both 1080i and 720/60P in one camera would be very attractive especially if these can be recorded out to hard drive or tape rather than P2 cards for longer format events.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Is there some reason (that is not obvious) why a two connector remote solution is better than the single connector LANC solution? Two connectors take up more space and cost more than one.

The Bogen remote controls for Panasonic are about 35% more expensive than equivalent LANC models and you need batteries in the Panny version.
Old November 29th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hanlon
Any idea what the small "CAM REM2" connector is for?
CAM REM2 is the remote focus and iris control jack, separate from the zoom and rec/pause control jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hanlon
Is there some reason (that is not obvious) why a two connector remote solution is better than the single connector LANC solution?
Yes, this way (two jacks) provides remote iris control, which is not offered via LANC. This camera and the DVX100B are the only ones offering remote iris this way, nothing else in this range from any other manufacturer has remote iris capability.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders