More details on the CinePorter CP-2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

More details on the CinePorter CP-2

Talked to the Spec-Comm folks today at GV Expo about their upcoming CinePorter CP-2 hard disk recorder. No photos yet, as the unit is only in prototype phase and not yet ready for prime time. No pricing info, but I'm sure its MSRP will be competitive with the FireStore DS-100 for DVCPRO HD, which will sell for around $2K.

Hard disk capacity: choice of 100, 120, 200 or 240GB. Shock-mounted and therefore not removeable. Supports all Panasonic formats, DV through DVCPRO HD. Since this is a P2 device, all of the metadata is recorded to the drive along with the video in the MXF file format (you don't get the metadata through FireWire; it's available via P2 only).

It draws 7.2 volts / 1.25 amps and comes with a Spec-Comm 6Ah batt. which is identical to the Panasonic DVX / HVX battery form factor.

The cable from the P2 card insert to the drive is long enough to use with the larger P2 cams such as the SPX800 and SPC700. I'm pretty sure that their primary market will be HVX200 buyers though. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Very, Very interesting solution. Definetly on top of my "must buy"list for the HVX. If it comes at the same time as the PAL camera release, it will be "The bundle" to get.

With 250GB of storage, this equals 4 Hours of 1080 or 720/60p DVCPROHD recording!!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:33 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

I think the target date for availability on this will be somewhere around the NAB time frame next Spring. Hopefully sooner!

Old December 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Chris,
Did they make mention of wether it supports Native Mode when in 720P? Native mode refers to capturing only the unique frames and not duplicating frames to fill the 60P HD spec. So if you film 24fps it only store 24 frames as opposed to 24 unique frames and 36 duplicates which takes up the full 100mbs streams as opposed to 40mbs. It has been reported that the Firestore will not support Native mode so if the Cineporter does that would be a big bonus!

Thanks
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM   #5
New Boot

240gb???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Hard disk capacity: choice of 100, 120, 200 or 240GB.
240gb? so can we assume that they're using 3.5" hard drives? and if so, why not max of 500gb? does p2 max out at 240gb?
Craig Schober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Chris,
Did they make mention of wether it supports Native Mode when in 720P? Native mode refers to capturing only the unique frames and not duplicating frames to fill the 60P HD spec. So if you film 24fps it only store 24 frames as opposed to 24 unique frames and 36 duplicates which takes up the full 100mbs streams as opposed to 40mbs. It has been reported that the Firestore will not support Native mode so if the Cineporter does that would be a big bonus!

Thanks

Since it gets its data from the P2 slot - I think it will record only active frames....

Thanks fantastic! - if so FS-4 is DOA unless its $500 cheaper....
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #7
Trustee

website updated

www.spec-comm.com has updated their site with some info regarding the Cineporter CP-2. A few images of the unit mounted on a "virtual" HVX200 and an SPX-800. It'll help give you an idea how it mounts. No real new info but at least you can see the product itself.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Marty. The direct link is http://www.spec-comm.com/cineporter.php

Old December 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM   #9
Skyonic New York

reminds me of a thread i posted this summer asking for someone to make a product just like this...do i have any legal rights? :)

in any case I'll take full credit for this one ...

the nice part its usb 2 so does that mean you can just buy the cable and create your own drive? if not with this model i'm sure those cables will be on ebay with a bunch of chinese writing on them selling for 30 bucks right next to the fake coke bottle wide angle adapters...

for those manufactuers reading this:
a longer cable with dual battery belt config would suite me just fine, that would keep the camera hand-hold-able...

nice to see the industry reading these pages...everything is coming togther...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
reminds me of a thread i posted this summer asking for someone to make a product just like this...do i have any legal rights? :)
Probably not... Unfortunately, it's not a new or unique concept. PC Cards with direct/proprietary links to HDD based subsystems are as old as PC cards themselves and date back to the days of the first portable computers. This is the best logical solution for an external recording device for the HVX200... The Firestore implementation over firewire doesn't provide all the functionality that the Cineporter will and if they want to compete in the market, they had better start thinking about slashing their price. ...even though their current price is just an estimate.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Skyonic New York

i'm sure you realise this, but i was only kidding, of course i already called my lawyer about it in the morning...

but one advantge the 1394 port has over the p2 card slot is you can shoot both at the same time using the firestore method...but thats about it..
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
i'm sure you realise this, but i was only kidding, of course i already called my lawyer about it in the morning...
Yeah, I know. But just in case, you may want to try and file a patent request anyway. You may get lucky.

Quote:
but one advantge the 1394 port has over the p2 card slot is you can shoot both at the same time using the firestore method...but thats about it..
Yeah, I suppose so.
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #13
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe
The Firestore implementation over firewire doesn't provide all the functionality that the Cineporter will
Not necessarily! Jan has said that the FireStore will appear to the camera as if it's a big P2 card, even though it's hooked in through the firewire port. They're sharing technology on this thing, so it may turn out that the Firestore has all that same functionality. We should learn more tomorrow at DV Expo.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Not necessarily! Jan has said that the FireStore will appear to the camera as if it's a big P2 card, even though it's hooked in through the firewire port. They're sharing technology on this thing, so it may turn out that the Firestore has all that same functionality. We should learn more tomorrow at DV Expo.
That's cool. I guess I missed that one. :)
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders