DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Not Able to Record HD to MiniDV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/57001-not-able-record-hd-minidv.html)

Matt Vanecek December 28th, 2005 06:53 PM

Not Able to Record HD to MiniDV?

I just want clarification on this point, as the specs do not seem to say this right out:

Is it true that you CANNOT record HD to MiniDV with the HVX200?

That's pretty much a deal-killer for me. I typically record in 60-80 minute chunks, and don't really have time for swapping cards, storing to disk, etc. (thank God for 83 min. tapes!). I need to be able to pop in 1 60- or 80-min recording medium, record, switch out the medium for a fresh one, and get going again (after tending to saving sound recorded on my computer, etc. from the sound system).

Plus, the price point is WAY too high for the PS2 cards. If I could record HD to the MiniDV tapes on the HVX200, I think I'd be all over this thing--it looks like a really sweet deal. :(

Thanks,
Matt

Shannon Rawls December 28th, 2005 07:11 PM

No, the HVX200 will not record anything other then regular DV to it's tape transport.(minidv)
If you need to record DVCPRO-50 or DVCPRO-HD, then you must use P2 Cards.

- ShannonRawls.com

Philip Williams December 28th, 2005 07:58 PM

To use the HVX with a workflow where you might record several 60-80 minute chunks in a day, I think the Cineporter with 2 drives might be the best bet. I think they're hoping to have a model with two 160GB drives in it, which would translate into over 300 minutes of 1080i/P or 720P/60fps.

Otherwise (flame suit on), there are of course several nice HDV cams to choose from and you get your 60 minutes on a $5 tape.

Chris Hurd December 28th, 2005 08:16 PM

I've explained in numerous other threads on this forum that the idea behind the HVX200 is to keep the price point at $6000 for the camera. If it could record HD to tape, you'd have to pump up the cost by at least another $10,000 or so, because a DVCPRO HD tape transport costs about $16,000. So maybe you can see how *not* having the ability to record HD to tape is a good thing, as it keeps the camera cost down to an affordable level.

If you want to record DVCPRO HD to tape, then you need to look at the VariCam. The HVX200 is the least expensive way to work with DVCPRO HD. Because it records HD to P2 cards, and not to tape, that means more people can afford to work with this HD format. DVCPRO HD to tape would have been ridiculously expensive, so let's be grateful that it doesn't do this.

Craig Seeman December 28th, 2005 08:29 PM

The cost of the DVCProHD tape mechanism would probably cost more than the entire camera.

When the 320GB CinePorter comes out you'll get about 5 hours of rercord time with NO tape change and much faster ingest time than tape. Seems much easier than changing tapes every hour followed by 5 hours of real time tape input into an NLE.

If you're asking this kind of question I think you need to do A LOT more research before you buy any camera.

You really need to understand the difference between an HDV camera and why many (obviously not all though) really look forward to a tapeless DVCProHD camera in this price range.

If we're going to wish for the technology per dollar impossible why not wish for a 2/3" chip camera in the HVX price class too.

As I type this I see Chris has posted an explanation also.

Chris Hurd December 28th, 2005 10:29 PM

It's always good to hear it from someone else other than me. Thanks Craig,