Please upload a raw MXF taken directly from the P2 card - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #16
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 383
I agree - it's the only clip that is noisy
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
Posts: 8,090
Kaku,

Yes, we do our best to help Windows users by making HD editing easy and fast. I just wished we had a better relationship with Panasonic, who have not offered (even when we asked) to help CineForm support the HVX200. Do you have a contact that may help us?

Currently to convert the MXF files for easier usage on the PC, it is not as simple as we would like due to the lack of a decent DVCPRO-HD decoder. Today's workflow requires using the AVID DV100 decoder through quicktime, with DVFilm Maker and exporting to CineForm AVI. I just dragged the CONTENTS\VIDEO\00xxx.MXF files onto the DVFilm window (following the instruction at http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm) and it worked. This solution is not perfect, but workable, as the AVID decoder has its limitations.

I don't personally know Mr. Kasugai at Adobe, although David Taylor at CineForm has had correspondence with him some time ago. Why do you ask?
__________________
David Newman -- web: www.gopro.com
blog: cineform.blogspot.com -- twitter: twitter.com/David_Newman
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #18
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Kaku,

The footage of the chopper in the sky looks very noisy.

Where you using gain? If so, how much?

I do not see much noise in your other clips.

Thank you,
Steve
That thing appeared all of a sudden, so i probably had ND filter on and had to turn on the gain. Maybe we should stop providing that clip, but I though people wanna see the propellars spinning.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #19
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Kaku,

Yes, we do our best to help Windows users by making HD editing easy and fast. I just wished we had a better relationship with Panasonic, who have not offered (even when we asked) to help CineForm support the HVX200. Do you have a contact that may help us?

Currently to convert the MXF files for easier usage on the PC, it is not as simple as we would like due to the lack of a decent DVCPRO-HD decoder. Today's workflow requires using the AVID DV100 decoder through quicktime, with DVFilm Maker and exporting to CineForm AVI. I just dragged the CONTENTS\VIDEO\00xxx.MXF files onto the DVFilm window (following the instruction at http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm) and it worked. This solution is not perfect, but workable, as the AVID decoder has its limitations.

I don't personally know Mr. Kasugai at Adobe, although David Taylor at CineForm has had correspondence with him some time ago. Why do you ask?
K, David, thank you for the details.

I wonder by just providing MXF files in the video folder would work for both mac and windows users. What do you think Michael and Barry?

Mr. Kasugai is the keyperson for Windows related media production products. He said he was coming in new year to see the turnkey solution we have built and talk some other business. I just thought such key product like Cineform should do better in Japan and he is the person to work it out with.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
I wonder by just providing MXF files in the video folder would work for both mac and windows users. What do you think Michael and Barry?
For Mac users it's fine. For Windows users who have Avid or Canopus it's fine. But for the vast majority of Windows users it'd be a pain in the patootie. I think what most Windows users want to see is a high-quality .WMV file.

If you provide the MXF files for Windows users, we have to download the avid codec, then dvfilm maker, then convert the file, and then we have something we can play back at like one frame per second. It's not watchable. Whereas with a Windows Media 9 or WMP10 file, we can play back full-screen. For people wanting to watch footage, WMV is a much better choice. For those wanting to do critical examination of the codec, MXF is the only choice.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #21
Trustee
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,214
Kaku,

I've seen the MXF you provided in full sunlight and with ND filter. Now I'd like to see a dark indoor shot, lit by one 60 or 100 watt incadescent lamp using full gain on the camera into the shadows of the room.

MXF once again, when you get around to it. Many thanks...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #22
New Boot
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pontevedra- Spain
Posts: 23
MXF file ???

Hello,

Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2.1 does not recognize 002J3 and 003GF files sent by Kaku Ito.The program gives this message: "The imported file is not a supported XDCAM MXF file" .

why?
Eloy Varela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,863
Well, for one thing XDCAM uses its own proprietary implementation of MXF, different from what every other MXF system uses.

So the problem is that Avid appears to be trying to read the MXF file as if it's a Sony XDCAM file, rather than an Op-Atom MXF file. I don't know why that would be happening; Avid is extremely Op-Atom aware. Hopefully some Avid user will write in here and tell you the steps to take to get it to work.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 326
Kaku, I am amazed. I just played back that footage in Final Cut. Truly incredible resolution, detail, and everything.

The one thing I'm really amazed about is that I could play them at a smaller resolution and edit and color correct on them quickly on - get this - a Dual 867 G4 with only a gig of RAM. I guess it just goes to show how much better of an editing codec DVCProHD is than HDV, which I can barely edit on.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #25
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: US & THEM
Posts: 827
Kaku,

Could you please post an mxf clip with the sharpness turned off; i am seeing halos 5 pixels thick
__________________
John Jay

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #26
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay
Kaku,

Could you please post an mxf clip with the sharpness turned off; i am seeing halos 5 pixels thick
Hey, John Jay,

Okay. I was shooting with defualt scene file for 60p and 1080i, but I guess the sharpness is on at default? I will check this.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #27
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wills
Kaku, I am amazed. I just played back that footage in Final Cut. Truly incredible resolution, detail, and everything.

The one thing I'm really amazed about is that I could play them at a smaller resolution and edit and color correct on them quickly on - get this - a Dual 867 G4 with only a gig of RAM. I guess it just goes to show how much better of an editing codec DVCProHD is than HDV, which I can barely edit on.

Good for you!
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #28
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Kaku,

I've seen the MXF you provided in full sunlight and with ND filter. Now I'd like to see a dark indoor shot, lit by one 60 or 100 watt incadescent lamp using full gain on the camera into the shadows of the room.

MXF once again, when you get around to it. Many thanks...
That's easy, I will do that. I have a little party tonight so I will shoot video of people food, drinks under the lights, dark and bright.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #29
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Shibuya, Tokyo
Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
For Mac users it's fine. For Windows users who have Avid or Canopus it's fine. But for the vast majority of Windows users it'd be a pain in the patootie. I think what most Windows users want to see is a high-quality .WMV file.

If you provide the MXF files for Windows users, we have to download the avid codec, then dvfilm maker, then convert the file, and then we have something we can play back at like one frame per second. It's not watchable. Whereas with a Windows Media 9 or WMP10 file, we can play back full-screen. For people wanting to watch footage, WMV is a much better choice. For those wanting to do critical examination of the codec, MXF is the only choice.
Barry,

Thanks, I think many people realize then what the raw file is all about.
I'm waaay behinde with my other obligations to be able to do more, I hope some one good with the ability to master wmv files can help us to provide footage to wide audience. I have three video projects to finish and one magazine article to write right away :(. I'm a dead meat.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #30
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Files can be read on Windows with a demo version of DVFilm Maker 2.21 (info here http://dvfilm.com/hvx200/index.htm.) I converted them to a CineForm AVI and dropped them onto a Aspect HD timeline, all works fine.
David,
I'm glad to hear this - with Premiere Pro being my editor of choice and me about to jump on the Aspect HD bandwagon, I'm glad that there is SOME way of getting HD footage from the Panasonic into Premiere. In all honesty, I'd rather go through the conversion process so that I could continue using Premiere than change editors. So I have two questions:

1. Would Aspect be powerful enough to handle the HD footage?
2. Do you foresee future versions of a Cineform product for integrating HD footage from this camera directly into Premiere Pro?
3. Is the footage you converted to Cineform AVI degraded? And if so, is it substantial?
John Hewat is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network