DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   DVCPro50 or DVCPro25? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/57235-dvcpro50-dvcpro25.html)

Guest January 1st, 2006 07:55 PM

DVCPro50 or DVCPro25?

Kaku,

I'm sure the DVCProHD is going to be the most popular with the HVX200, but I wanted to see if you've gotten to experiment with DVCPro50 or DVCPro25 yet? I'm NOT requesting it, as I know you've gone way beyond shooting all the stuff that you are sharing with everyone already.

Just curious on what you thought about the DVCPro50/25 formats, and if you've used those settings yet?

Maurice Jolly January 1st, 2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek West
Kaku,

I'm sure the DVCProHD is going to be the most popular with the HVX200, but I wanted to see if you've gotten to experiment with DVCPro50 or DVCPro25 yet? I'm NOT requesting it, as I know you've gone way beyond shooting all the stuff that you are sharing with everyone already.

Just curious on what you thought about the DVCPro50/25 formats, and if you've used those settings yet?

derek,
this is a quote from Spinflight on the dvxuser forum. he shot some 50, and here's what he had to say:

Maurice,
Just shot some 50. It looks really good. I think you'll be really pleased. Again, don't use the gain. You might as well forget that that switch is even there unless you're looking for a grainy look. Hope this helps.

part 2,
Even though I got this camera to shoot HD, I wouldn't have a problem of shooting 50 all day long with this cam. Longer shooting times and a great picture. Can't beat it. I had no intention of shooting 50 until now.

part 3,
Just shot some slow motion. Incredible. The slomo is absolutely amazing. 60p played back at 24 is something to see. All you music video shooters out there are going to love this.

Guest January 1st, 2006 09:35 PM

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for posting. I spend the majority of my time here but have been visiting DVXuser.com as well and read your post:

"see, this is why i was so antsy to hear how 50 looked. until hd becomes an everyday, everybody thing, i plan to shoot all sd in 50. i had my heart set on the sdx900 until i did my homework on this camera. my friend, you and everybody else that has one, now holds the best under $10,000 sd cam on the planet. i'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that now the game has changed forever."

I was glad to read that I was not the only one considering this. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the three formats HD/50/25 and exporting them to the web to see what kind of difference they make.

Like you, I imagine I'll be spending the majority of my time recording DVCPro50 to P2. I don't think there's a more seamless workflow around.

According to Panasonic's chart, I could record 8 minutes of 480/24pA (over60i) to a single 4 gig P2 card.

Here's the chart for easy reference:
http://www.thisis24p.com/panasonic.html

I'm looking forward to seeing some DVCPro50/25 footage since reading those quotes by SpinFight.

I hope you stick around these forums as well Maurice!

Kaku Ito January 1st, 2006 10:13 PM

i posted one DVCPRO50 clip at my site.

Guest January 1st, 2006 10:15 PM

Thanks Kaku. Downloading it now.

Which FCP 5.0.4 "Easy SetUp" are you using when you import those?

Kaku Ito January 1st, 2006 10:20 PM

See, in the workflow of P2, upon bringing in these files, there's not project setup involved. You need to use the easy-setup or appropriate settings on the time-line, but bringing in P2 files is just importing from the card of backed-up volumes on iPod (in my case) as what format each files are.

Guest January 1st, 2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaku Ito
You need to use the easy-setup or appropriate settings on the time-line...

Thanks Kaku,

So what "easy-setup" are you using for the above when you are editing DVCPro50 in FCP 5.0.4?

Kaku Ito January 1st, 2006 10:39 PM

DVCPRO50 24p native file is posted.

Guest January 1st, 2006 10:40 PM

You got a bunch loaded up for us on your site. THANKS!

Kaku Ito January 1st, 2006 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek West
Thanks Kaku,

So what "easy-setup" are you using for the above when you are editing DVCPro50 in FCP 5.0.4?

I have Kona LH in my machine so I would choose Kona LH DVCPro50 preset, but for the software only people, I would choose DV50 setups according to the clip's format (24 or 60i).

Guest January 1st, 2006 10:42 PM

You posted a bunch of DVCPro50 files on your site. THANKS!

and thanks for the easy set up info too!

Steven Thomas January 1st, 2006 11:13 PM

Kaku, this AVID PC stuff is killing me.

It will not load the DVCPRO50 files, I get white screen.

Is it possible to get the actual raw P2 MXF files?
thxs,

Steve

Kaku Ito January 1st, 2006 11:24 PM

Derek, thank you for waiting patiently.

Steve, I guess i would do indoor and outdoor from window little later here.

It's raining today and I have no intention to getting out :(. It if was snowing, might have been worth going out.

Tomorrow's session has to be called off, too, the mountainbike course is terrible condition after it rains, and it going to be ice all over.

Guest January 1st, 2006 11:36 PM

Kaku,

Thank you. I just finished downloading and watching in FCP your two "street in Shibuya" files done in 60i and 24p. What a great comparison. My preference was the 24p. It was great to be able to watch them back to back on my timeline. Sorry the weather's not cooperating with you.