Trying to figure out the fastest way to achieve backup - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 15th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #16
Trustee

Dan,
I never thought the tape solution would run expensive, thank you for your input. I did have about 20 of those those AIT tapes, but not realizing the whole cost.

For the RAID I'm talking about, G-RAID, is a single box solution. So you can use it as a firewire hard drive like a single drive. Not sure if it is compatible with HVX directly (it does have both 800 and 400 depending on the model), but my workflow is HVX/P2 to iPOD/Cineporter to GRAID/G5. Check out the GRAID by G-Technology.

Yes, I would not recompress my backup footage neigther. But would be nice to have mastered clips to show to people. So, for that, I would use DV, HDV, D-VHS, H.264 as choices over SD-DVD (I'm just ingorant on WMV).
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Trustee

i checked it out, it looks like industrial-strength hard drive solutions... i'm kind of in the same boat you are, i have a bunch of fs-4 footage i've been trying to offload somewhere.

i'm going with the cheapest quality hdd i can find for now, until this hd dvd storage technology gets cheap enuf.

fwiw, i have seen threads on the 'net that detail how you can use a cheap camcorder to store data with, in a non-video format, but on a cheap dv tape... i have not pursued it, but it's very interesting as an interim solution.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Did you guys consider Blu Ray as a backup solution? It makes the most sense to me. It may be some time before they come out though.
Jay Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #19
Trustee

G-RAIDs that we sold to customers, they been stable very much. G-Technology is a spin off from Medea.

And, Jay, yes we mentioned Bluray of course, but I'm in HD-DVD boat more than Bluray. When it comes to an equipment related with appreciating media (movies and music), I don't trust what Sony creates, because of that I tend to try to support other technology goes against it. What Sony did on CD was good because of Phillips was behind it. Phiilips is nolonger strong player in the appreciation media, Sony is really loosing its reference in quality, fidelity in music and video, but they still remain arrogant in manupilating media culture. I hope they do better in considering and listening to people about "reference" quality of things. Although after all of the problem they have been having with solid music players (spyware and music being played different length than original, but Sony says that is legitimate), I can't support what Sony is trying to set as a standard. I hope Sony makes something good with Bluray, but more likely that Mac would come with HDDVDR rather than Bluray drive, wouldn't it?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #20
Major Player

*edit* I killed this message, I didn't like it...
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders