Panasonic's Pricing of the HVX200 Pal Version at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 13th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Panasonic's Pricing of the HVX200 Pal Version

Sure, most of us in PAL land already know that our PAL cameras cost a bit more than our NTSC friends..... but check this thread over at dvxuser.com

http://www.dvxuser.com/V3/showthread.php?t=43509

It looks like a PAL model will cost US$3000 more than a NTSC model.
James Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for that ..
I just read the thread - if it's true Panny have shot themselves right between the but-tocks.

I can't believe it, quite honestly - that would be sheer madness - we all know it's an international market - factor in exchange rates, some local tax ... it all ends up within a bulls roar if not $ for $.

Jan C ?
Rob McCardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

exactly...

I can understand a 10% or so difference but 50%?...

I hope this pricing is wrong....
Old January 14th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #4
Major Player

I just did a check on a respectable and probably the biggest company on cameras here in sweden. They charge about 7500 USD + VAT for the HVX200E for just the camera. No price with cards yet there. They typically follow the recommended prices.

I can't understand what Panasonic are thinking. Why 25 % more? AFAI the only difference is the support for PAL.
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

yeah well the DVX was $8800 when it was first launched here in aus and started selling it at that price and there WERE buyers for it...

i got mine frm singapore thou, WITH a Mic and 3 yr warranty for $5200 shipped to my door within a week of ordering it..
$3600 difference....
thats about $2500USD difference...

THIS explains why grey importing exists..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm always happy to pay abit more to keep local business' going and get abit of service.But it makes me mad everytime I think about the blatant overcharging that occured with the dvx. It really killed the dvx in Australia. All my video friends still go for the Sony stuff and hardly any for the panasonic. Worse part is that the local panasonic guys dont want to service your "grey" import. So they expect me to fork out an additional 2 grand just in case I need it serviced? Be reasonable please. I'll be hopping on a plane for a holiday in Singapore if thats the case and coming back with my camera!

Peter are there any good places to service the dvx in Sydney? Myfirewire just died.
Tung Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #7
Major Player

I also bought my camera, a Sony PDX10P from Singapore.

Best price here was AU$6200, I got it from Singapore landed here in Oz with GST & 2 yr warranty for AU$4100.

Sure there will be grey importing but I really wanted to avoid that this time around as I like to support my home country of Australia where possible....

But if Panasonic refuses to be reasonable with pricing here in Australia then i'll have no choice yet again.

Looking at the prices on a very reliable & cheap Singaporean dealer I commonly use, it seems his price so far on the HVX200 Pal model is US$10,000 but i'm wondering whether that is the P2 card bundle although it doesn't say...

Time will tell....
Old January 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

"Peter are there any good places to service the dvx in Sydney? Myfirewire just died."

Nah mate, Panasonic (broadcast/pro) are no longer looked after by Rexel. Rexel used to do all the service repairs and sales etc... but now... who friggin knows..
Im still waiting on a lens cap and a EVF protective cap.. ands its been what.. 8 months now since i pout the order through..... and i have priority to all this shit and im still waiting..

but no, even with an import, they wont service it to "discourage" people from getin their kit overseas.... they check your import with teh serial numbers on the camera itself (the number on the EVF)

With regard to the firewire, I'll see if i can find the scematics here somewhere (im home and im no longer at DVT) but i DO know ive got the scematics of the 2 DVX units here (youve got a 100a yas?? )
So if u can find an engineer, they can probably do it.. but to be honest, i think gettin urself a cheap second hand DVcam will save u some money... Ive been using an MX500 for capturing, ive NEVER used the firewire port from the DVX.. (apart from using it with a firestore...)

As for supporting the local guy.. well theres really no point when it comes THIS much money... for supplies and accessories, i agree.. however the amount of taxes that we pay (here in aus) is ridiculous.
The fac that the units dont move very fast demand that an equilibrium be made to offset the loss of units not sold.
Basically, coz not that many are sold, they gotta charge more to make a bit more of a profit margin... I can sell 5 units at 10% cost... that means im making a 50% margin on those 5 units combined... thats worth it.. but that means i need to have 5 units on stock.. now it would prolly take me 3 months (maybe more) to sell those 5 units.. is it worth the time and effort to store, insure, and sell these units at 10% profit? Do the math..
the insurance alone would blow my profit... then theres labour time for the sale, educating the client on how it works etc etc..
Thing is, the same thing happened with the XL2.. and canon did the same with regard to service etc...
The Z1 was a joke..

We sold those for 9300 when they were released.... 6 weeks later, we were flogging em for 8200....

THE MARKET HERE IS A JOKE....
FLAT OUT JOKE. Its not worth it anymore.. the big bux is in broadcast....
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #9
Major Player

They don't call us "rip-off Britain" for nothing. If that's the price they can stick it!
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Major Player

It probably won't make any difference but I think some sort of petition or similar should be done to make the Australian & European distributors aware of the high amount of grey imports due to their ridiculous pricing.....

Any suggestions on how to make them aware?
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #11
Major Player

Well, it might be that the price includes P2-cards but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. It may also be that the PAL-edition will have that price generally and the NTSC edition is just a lot cheaper.
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Hmm... given you also get an extra 10fps on the NTSC model and more cash in your pocket... looks like that is the one. :)
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #13
Major Player

Hmm.. interesting thought... if you are going to make shorts and indie movies it really doesn't matter, or? The only "problem" is the AC-adaptor to go for 230V instead of 110V that the NTSC-version is (I think it is but I might be wrong).
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson
It may also be that the PAL-edition will have that price generally and the NTSC edition is just a lot cheaper.
Given the Canon XL-H1 can be modified to do *BOTH* formats of NTSC/PAL 50i/60i its quite clear that there should be no real reason for such a huge price difference between the 2 cameras.....

In regards to the power adaptor, most of them are 110-240 AC 50/60Hz so that shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old January 15th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #15
Major Player

They may not care but I think if we all put our names together & made them aware of the many lost sales in their country, well at least over time prices may eventually change...
James Darren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders