Field Monitor and the HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Field Monitor and the HVX200

This is somewhat of a repost of a thread I replied to in the Monitors section but I'm trying to hit this particular crowd. (Hope I'm not in the wrong by posting it here.)

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting my HVX200 and I've been looking at the 17" Panasonic (BTW-LH1700) to double as a field monitor and in post.

However, I do enough run and gun stuff in which a 17" monitor just won't work ... in addition, I'm quite leary of the HVX's bulit in display ... too much leeway for mistakes in focus. (From what I've read and heard.)

So, setting aside the Post issue, has anybody else seen a Marshall V-R70P-HDA (or the like) in action with this camera? Is it needed? Meaning, is the bulit in display on the HVX that unreliable for focus?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

- Hans
Hans Damkoehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The LCD is unreliable for focus if used on it's own, but if you are using the focus assist feature (while focusing AND while shooting to check) then apparently you should be fine. Barry says the focus assist feature works great. If the focus assist is a pixel for pixel zoom then it actually should work BETTER than an onboard monitor because those monitors are not pixel for pixel.

I'm wondering if there is any way to use the focus assist feature on an onboard monitor. That would be a nice feature.
Brian Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

The Marshall works surprisingly well; I recommend you contact Rush Hamden at DVInfo.net sponsor Express Video Supply (evsonline.com) to talk about it; Rush has been using them for a while and sings their praises rather highly.

Focus assist doesn't work to an external monitor. The focus assist works very well, but you'd still want to use it in combination with the zoom-in, focus, zoom-out technique. Focus is critical in HD...

That said, we shot the demo footage for DV Expo and never even had an HD monitor. We did it all with just the LCD and it all turned out tack sharp.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Damkoehler
So, setting aside the Post issue, has anybody else seen a Marshall V-R70P-HDA (or the like) in action with this camera? Is it needed? Meaning, is the bulit in display on the HVX that unreliable for focus?
I have a Marshall V-R70P-HDA coming in this week, that will be used with the HVX200. Although I don't have the HVX200 yet, I'll have a decent sense of the quality of the monitor. I'll also be comparing the component HD in vs S-video in, which I haven't read anyone report on. This is an important point, since the model just below the HDA with SD composite/S-video only, is $450 cheaper.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Steev,

Look forward to your report! I love to get your sense of the monitor. And if it is worth it spring the extra $450 for the HD inputs. Now if we can only get the HVXs to ship!
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys

Barry, Brian, Steve,

Thanks for the replies! I'll be interested to hear more on the Marshall so please post your experiences.

I appreciate it.

Now ... if only my HVX would show up ....
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Here it is! I just got the monitor in today, and in short, it is a must have. The S-video and BNC SD looks pretty shabby compared to the HD component in.

You can read more about my report here:

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Sit...3E802A339.html

Thanks again to Nate Weaver for the tip.

-steev
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the review. Good to know the HD inputs are worth the money.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks!

You can read more about my report here:

http://web.mac.com/holyzoo1/iWeb/Sit...3E802A339.html

Steev ... thanks so much for the post, the pix and your thoughts. Good stuff. I'll be interested to see what it feels, looks like when shooting.

- H
Old January 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #10
Trustee

Steev,

How did that other battery for your Marshall workout?

If it did, how much, and what was the source?

Thanks, Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas
Steev, How did that other battery for your Marshall workout? If it did, how much, and what was the source?
Ah, yeah the 12V NRG battery I purchased did *not* work. So I rented the Anton Bauer running 14.4V and it lasted for many hours, and in fact I returned it on rental without exhausting its charge. So I have a Bescor 14.4V NiHM on the way, and the other battery is going back to BH.

I'll give an update on how it works out when it gets here next week. If it works, that's $220 for a battery with charger that will last many hours. Compare this to an Endura or Anton Bauer battery solution starting at $800. :O

-steev
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Thanks Steev,

Let us know how the Bescor works out.

I'm about to through down on the Marshall and goods.

thxs, Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 03:51 AM   #13
Major Player

Yes!!!! The Bescor is a winner! As I'm typing now, the Marshall has been running non stop for 3 hours, 15 minutes. I'm not sure the total potential on the battery, but I'm satisfied and tired as hell, so sleep time for me. The battery has outlasted me.

Here's the battery - Bescor NMH-65A 14.4V NiMH

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Comes with a nice auto charger to prevent overcharging.

It's surprisingly compact as well - about the height and width of a 1st/2nd gen iPod, but about 2 inches think. Would clip easily to waist/belt or a clamp and a loop.

Again, I'm using it to power a Marshall 7" HD capable LCD monitor - Marshall V-R70P-HDA

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:48 AM   #14
New Boot

required cables

in order to connect this LCD moitor (V-R70P-HDA) to HVX200, what kind of cables do I need?
(BTW, thank you very much for the report... since I've been looking for the lcd monitor for HVX, it's big help...)
Jong W. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:53 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong W. Lee
in order to connect this LCD moitor (V-R70P-HDA) to HVX200, what kind of cables do I need?
(BTW, thank you very much for the report... since I've been looking for the lcd monitor for HVX, it's big help...)
You can use the component video cable that comes with the HVX200.

For the battery, you should get a 4-pin XLR cable (standard male to female) in the length needed for how you're going to mount the monitor and battery. I bought a 6 foot cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders