Is quick time pro with a G4 the best and cheapest way to capture from the HVX? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is quick time pro with a G4 the best and cheapest way to capture from the HVX?

Is quick time pro with a G4 the best and cheapest way to capture from the HVX?

This is getting very expensive and I need to cut costs where I can, but still have good equipment for the film. I'm getting a couple of G4 power books (Old/new from MacMall) with 1.65g processors and 1.5g of ram to record from the HVX to a raid HD setup and I was wondering if anyone has any info on using Quick time 7 pro as the capture utility. I have FCP and a Quad G5 to edit with, but I can only put FCP on the G5. FCE is too expensive to buy for the laptops at this point, as I need to have enough money for new tripods, etc and to pay the cast and crew this summer during the shoot. I called apple tech support but they couldn't answer the question and suggested I post the question here.

David
David M. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #2
Major Player

You could pretty easily just use the Powerbooks to drag the files over from the cards. There may be some software out there that'd let you view them, but I'm not positive about that. If you could get Final Cut on one of the laptops, that'd be perfect, but you say that that doesn't look like it'll be possible.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wills
You could pretty easily just use the Powerbooks to drag the files over from the cards. There may be some software out there that'd let you view them, but I'm not positive about that. If you could get Final Cut on one of the laptops, that'd be perfect, but you say that that doesn't look like it'll be possible.
I can only put one copy of FCP on one machine, and my G5 is that machine for editing. You know Jobs needs my money to support his many vices I guess, so they will not let it be installed on more than one machine. So I need a cheaper solution that will work for sure with 1080i 24p capture.

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm assuming you're not planning on buying the P2 cards, in order to save money. Your plan is to capture directly through the laptop to the raid.

That being said, you need to have an application that captures DVCProHD over Firewire. I don't think Quicktime Pro even does that. I don't of any low-cost, standalone application that does that.

That being said, this camera will be hugely popular, so people may come out of the woodwork to support it. There may be several standalone capture apps for Mac by April for NAB. And Serious Magic is rumored to be developing an HVX model of the DVRack software, but that's for PC's. And you don't want to be counting on any of this 3rd-party development to be ready for your shoot by summer.

So, based on the known specifications of the camera, the cheapest way to capture is to either license FCP for your laptop, or rent P2 cards, then build in time to transfer the contents of the cards to a USB external drive. If you copy P2 to USB, then you can backup the USB drive on-set to a laptop, raid array, etc. That may not be the easiest solution, but it is probably the cheapest.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I thought you can put FCP on as many machines as you want as long as only one machine is being used at that time and if you are using the machines at the same time problems would only occur if they were connected to a common server.
Scott Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Schuster
I thought you can put FCP on as many machines as you want as long as only one machine is being used at that time and if you are using the machines at the same time problems would only occur if they were connected to a common server.
When I asked the Apple rep said that I would have only one machine that FCP studio could be on period. Also as I'll be running two cameras at times to the two laptops so I would have more than one machine in use at a time. So the question remains, is Quick time 7 pro the way to go? Anybody know?

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Anderson
I'm assuming you're not planning on buying the P2 cards, in order to save money. Your plan is to capture directly through the laptop to the raid.

That being said, you need to have an application that captures DVCProHD over Firewire. I don't think Quicktime Pro even does that. I don't of any low-cost, standalone application that does that.

That being said, this camera will be hugely popular, so people may come out of the woodwork to support it. There may be several standalone capture apps for Mac by April for NAB. And Serious Magic is rumored to be developing an HVX model of the DVRack software, but that's for PC's. And you don't want to be counting on any of this 3rd-party development to be ready for your shoot by summer.

So, based on the known specifications of the camera, the cheapest way to capture is to either license FCP for your laptop, or rent P2 cards, then build in time to transfer the contents of the cards to a USB external drive. If you copy P2 to USB, then you can backup the USB drive on-set to a laptop, raid array, etc. That may not be the easiest solution, but it is probably the cheapest.
I will have two 4g P-2 cards for mobil shots, but most of the shooting will be done from tripods to the laptops, hence my desire to find a good cheap way to capture from the HVX's. Do you know how much it would cost to licence FCP to the laptops? I did see on the Apple web site that DVCProHD is listed in Quicktime but I couldn't find out if it will work in 1080 24p.

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I think the apple rep might have thought you were making copies to dispense to others in your "business". I don't think that they expect you to buy copies for every machine you personally own and I do not think this is illegal if that is your concern. If you own all those machines I believe you are allowed to put them on everyone for your own use. Again I think the problems arise when you are on a common server where a single use copy would be recognized, which I do not think is your problem. Since you are getting the machines just give it a try. I have done it on my desktop and laptop up to FCP 4.5 with no problems.
Scott Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Schuster
I think the apple rep might have thought you were making copies to dispense to others in your "business". I don't think that they expect you to buy copies for every machine you personally own and I do not think this is illegal if that is your concern. If you own all those machines I believe you are allowed to put them on everyone for your own use. Again I think the problems arise when you are on a common server where a single use copy would be recognized, which I do not think is your problem. Since you are getting the machines just give it a try. I have done it on my desktop and laptop up to FCP 4.5 with no problems.
What they told me is that one copy for one machine, period. Yes, the legal issues are my concern as far as FCP on all three machines. I'n not going to be making copies, I wouldn't know how to do that anyway given all the safeguards they have on the software these days. I'll see if your suggestion is workable.

Edit to add the Apple tech said that Steven Jobs would press charges if I went online with two machines with the same copy of FCP, but if I'm just using the laptops for the cameras and not online I can get away with it.

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Payne
Edit to add the Apple tech said that Steven Jobs would press charges if I went online with two machines with the same copy of FCP, but if I'm just using the laptops for the cameras and not online I can get away with it.

David
I really have to say that that sounds like that Apple tech was being very sarcastic.
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
I really have to say that that sounds like that Apple tech was being very sarcastic.
Sorry, I made up the Job's quote, can't blame the tech for that.

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Yeah, I'd say that this is a pretty legally sketchy topic, so I'd recommend taking any discussions on this out of the forum, before the mods close this down.
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM   #13
Major Player

He's correct... about one copy per machine...

I called Apple a few months ago to see if I could just use an I-book and they told me I need the Power Book and I would have to purchase FCP 5 again...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yeah, I'd say that this is a pretty legally sketchy topic, so I'd recommend taking any discussions on this out of the forum, before the mods close this down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
He's correct... about one copy per machine...

I called Apple a few months ago to see if I could just use an I-book and they told me I need the Power Book and I would have to purchase FCP 5 again...
As someone making a movie I can understand the desire to keep pirated software under control, but I'm not someone who has money to burn. As someone on a very small budget trying to bring my movie out, it sure is frustrating to have so limited a choice on software and most all of it so expensive that I can't do some of the shots I'd like to do because I had to spend that money on duplicate software that I already bought once. If I was a big corporation I could see Apples or windows point, but I'm just a struggling indie flick maker on my first film trying not to drown in red ink with my limited funds. It's a Hobson's choice. I hope that the new addition of QuickTime pro will solve the problem in a way that leaves me with enough money to finish the film, and not have to make that Hobson's choice.

David
Old January 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It seems I was wrong. Steve, I'm immediatedley taking it off one of my machines. This from apples site if anyone cares to read:

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. The Apple Software may be used to reproduce materials so long as such use is limited to reproduction of non-copyrighted materials, materials in which you own the copyright, or materials you are authorized or legally permitted to reproduce. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. You may make one copy of the Apple Software in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the original. Except as and only to the extent expressly permitted in this License or by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
Scott Schuster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders