DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Is this IT? Another assigment. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/58752-another-assigment.html)

Lucia de Nieva January 20th, 2006 03:17 PM

Is this IT? Another assigment.

Having checked Kaku's latest additions on his own site, www.xtream.ne.jp, LuciA's assignment for the Panasonic HVX team would be to employ CMOS sensors in the next version. Kaku's clips and resolution charts of the HC1 and A1 distinctly show more resolution, more latititude and no v-smear at all despite of a much higher pixel density, colour interpolation, an inferior lens and stronger compression.

I can hear it now: "But the HC1 night drive is very noisy and CMOS has a lower sensibility and higher noise they say!" - Perhaps, but with MPEG-2, long GOP and electronic stabilisation, what else could it be. Other advantages would be native 1080p without pixel shift at 60 fps, pixel grouping for higher sensibility at lower resolutions and less consumption. Also, Matsushita cooperates with Altasens offering exactly matching 1/3" sensors anyway.

Chris Hurd January 20th, 2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucia de Nieva
Other advantages would be native 1080p without pixel shift at 60 fps

Sorry but this reads as if pixel shift is a bad thing. Pixel shift is not a bad thing. Pixel shift is very much a good thing. Pixel shift is something you want a 3CCD video camera to have.

Remember there is no such thing as a 1920 x 1080 sensor in today's HD camcorders. And if there was such a thing, low light performance would be horrible. Right now 1440 x 1080 with a PAR of 1.33:1, plus pixel shift is the way to go for three-chip HD camcorders. Hope this helps,

Shannon Rawls January 20th, 2006 03:49 PM

Kaku,

What are your thoughts on this? Did you see the same thing Lucia sees?

- ShannonRawls.com

Lucia de Nieva January 20th, 2006 06:45 PM

Different views for different technologies.

Chris, I never said pixel shift is a bad thing. I pointed out that with CMOS, you do not need pixel shift for enhancing resolution and sensitivity while preventing v-smear at the same time. CMOS sensors have several advantages, amongst them, addressing pixels alone or in groups for maximizing resolution or light performance respectively, is possible. There are also CMOS sensors with three layers for each colour which would not need a 3-chips-with-prisma-configuration anymore.

Sorry for my highly compressed style, but it matches the topic, is it not? Always getting mixed up with their specific subtleties when switching languages.

Shannon, just check for yourself. Unless you are due for the oculist, you can't miss it. Kaku also gave detailed comments on the settings, which makes visiting his site even more educating.

Chris Hurd January 20th, 2006 07:00 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Lucia. I agree with all of your points (who wouldn't?) and fully understand the challenge of shifting languages. Many thanks,

Shannon Rawls January 20th, 2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucia de Nieva
Unless you are due for the oculist, you can't miss it.

(calling my wife to bring my dictionary so I can learn that word)
Ok, Lucia, I'll check it out. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Lucia de Nieva January 20th, 2006 08:32 PM

Always nice to have some harmony in this world.

Chris, thanks for the understanding. I hope you do not mind stretching your first directive of usability a bit towards the future. At least I can be sure Panasonic's developers take note of what is going on here. Posting on the panasonic-broadcast.com forum seems to be as effective as launching a signal flare from a melting ice floe somewhere on the north pole.

(hopefully forgivable off-topic transcription of a "tipping an imagined bobby's hat" - gesture: Shannon, greetings to your wife. She appears be a very kind person the way you seem to be a very happy one.)