DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Question for Adam Wilt (and his response). (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/59224-question-adam-wilt-his-response.html)

Kurth Bousman January 26th, 2006 11:31 PM

Question for Adam Wilt (and his response).

In his article he states he preordered a hvx, yet it seemed to be the poorest performer . I'm wondering if he still plans on buying it and , if so , what are his reasons ? Kurth

Nikial Kabel January 26th, 2006 11:43 PM

He'll probably be owning both an XL H1 and an HVX, he is a connoisseur of cameras. =)

Guest January 27th, 2006 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
In his article he states he preordered a hvx, yet it seemed to be the poorest performer . I'm wondering if he still plans on buying it and , if so , what are his reasons ?

Good point! Maybe HVX will be the best in something or not?

Or maybe the noise issue can be avoid...BTW, is there any post-production prescription to take away that horrible chroma noise?

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2006 12:15 AM

Adam is not an active member here (or at any other message board that I'm aware of). Please direct questions to him via email. His address is located on his site at www.adamwilt.com -- hope this helps,

Robert Bobson January 27th, 2006 06:29 AM

And then post your answers from him here.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2006 07:34 AM

Only if you have his prior permission to do so.

Because otherwise, public posting of private email is a huge no-no. That's netiquette 101.

Kurth Bousman January 27th, 2006 09:54 AM

sorry Chris , I thought the whole world were members here . Well , he should be .Maybe he sneaks in and out like a kind of Zorro , lurking about. No. Well , I thought a public response would be better. I'll try over at dv.com. He's got to be a member there , you'd think. I'm just wondering if he agrees with my other thread that resolution isn't everything and still sees some imperative reasons to get it. I don't think he would just whip out 10k 'cause it's the "next" coolest toy. He might be successful and well paid but I doubt he's that rich so he's probably weighing info that might be useful Then again , he might have personal or professional reasons to not want to share those thoughts. We might have to wait for a review. I mean , he does get PAID for sharing those very thoughts , why would he give them away. Worth a try - but I just hate posting somewhere else. thanks -Kurth

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2006 10:09 AM

Thanks Kurth, but I don't think AJW posts much at the dv.com boards either. Why not send him an email and ask in advance if you can publicly share his answer to you. Hope this helps,

Maurice Jolly January 27th, 2006 12:00 PM

Next Four Cam Test

hey chris,
if it is at all possible, i was wondering if you could find or rent the 13x wide angle for the jvc and conduct the test with that particular lens on it.

Chris Hurd January 27th, 2006 12:04 PM

Thanks Maurice, that is an excellent suggestion. I'll try to make that happen.

Maurice Jolly January 27th, 2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Thanks Maurice, that is an excellent suggestion. I'll try to make that happen.

thanks buddy. i'm in the process of getting the jvc and was just wondering if the wide angle could make the camera stand out more in the test.

Kurth Bousman January 27th, 2006 02:35 PM

Chris - I got his response but I'm such a computer dork - how can I copy out of my email into your "reply to thread" box. I'd prefer to COPY rather than just copy- I might make a mistake - it's a good additional paragraph to his article.Please help. thanks Kurth

Bob England January 27th, 2006 04:16 PM

"Adam is not an active member here (or at any other message board that I'm aware of). Please direct questions to him via email. His address is located on his site at www.adamwilt.com -- hope this helps"

Hope I'm not spilling any beans here, but Adam is a regular contributor to the HDV-list, which admittedly is a Yahoo group, so you have to join to even read the messages (but it's free). It was originally started by Gary of Videoguys.com and was slow in getting started, but in recent months it's become an interesting mix of folks from all over the world. Adam's postings there are as always, informed and invaluable.
The group's webpage is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HDV-list/

Bob England

Kurth Bousman January 27th, 2006 04:26 PM

ok - stop laughing , I never copied email to post before and at first it didn't work. Mr. Wilt responded promptly and supports my point about resolution not being the deciding factor, I think. Read for yourselves. Mr. Wilt please...

"By my account, the HVX200 falls down in raw resolution and in the visual appearance of its noise (although Barry preferred the look of the HVX's noise over the others; this is strictly one of those personal preferences). If it's such a loser, why do I still have one on order? Mightn't it be the case that other factors offset the numbers? Might the phrase "variable frame rates" have some resonance? Remember that we looked at only a very few factors determining the image quality and usability of these cameras--no ergonomics; no practicality for a given situation; no frame-rate flexibility; no how-wide-does-the-lens-go; no audio quality tests; no can-I-handhold-it-steadily-for-90-minutes; no low light tests; no complex motion rendering; no flare levels; no how easily can a 1st AC pull focus on it; no how easily can I pull focus on it while running 'n' gunning; no codec quality--so how can one say that resolution numbers or noise levels or a stop more or less sensitivity makes or breaks a camera? That's silly. We captured four or five data points out of the hundreds one needs to think about. There are still hundreds of data points to go.

Cheers,
Adam Wilt"

Well, I think that says what alot of people have been thinking and if Adam Wilt is still in line then you other guys/girls waiting should be patient.This camera is all about framerates and until someone else does it better , then the hvx is the coolest camera on the block from my point of view. Not knocking the canon and I own the sony so nothing to grind. thanks - Kurth

Kurth Bousman January 27th, 2006 04:33 PM

By the way Chris , he gave me permission to share " this part " of his email. I , at his request edited down to just this portion. If you'd like I can send you the full email so you could confer. thanks - Kurth
ps - I was pleasantly surprised at his response- both prompt and professional esp. to a stranger.