HVX200 vs XL-H1 Highlight Blowout Analysis - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old January 29th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I figured FCP was used for DVCPRO-HD, I just didn't expect it to be broken for HDV handling (another reason not to edit native :) .) I guess we will wait for Steev to confirm. If FCP is clipping Luma in HDV, and not DVCPRO-HD that as a real puzzler, certainly a screw-up somewhere.
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #17
Major Player

It was probably rendered in FCP without checking "super white" in the settings.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Barlow, thanks that would explain things.

Ash, It is not just camera setup as there is clearly an error in post.
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
On the PC only Vegas defaults to full range YUV processing (by using vsRGB), Premiere Pro with Aspect HD also handles this correctly (although PPro alone clips the YUV space.) Which NLE was used?
Hey don't forget Canopus who was the first to use a YUV plugin to Ppro....Edius handles super whites and blacks just fine.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #20
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
It was probably rendered in FCP without checking "super white" in the settings.
Seems like super White should be the default since so many if not most DV and HDV record up to 108IRE. I'd like to see the test repeated with both camera and NLE set correctly.
Old January 30th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #21
Major Player

To clarify, my findings of HDV having less latitude than DVCPRO HD is not conclusive and I don't stand by it. So scratch that.

What I do stand by is that the raw footage I have with any blown highlights of the HVX200, rival the XL-H1 with blown highlights when trying to correct the problem in post.

I think I know what the answer is based on people's responses. There is a lot to be said about setting the knee to low on the XL. I always had the knee set to low and blacks stretched on my XL2 and I loved the way it handled everything.

Trying my test with Barlow's snow footage resulted in similar highlight control in post as the HVX200. So officially we can axe this thread except for perhaps the emphasis on the importance of setting the knee to low on the XL.

Agreed?
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #22
Trustee

Yes, set the knee to low and make sure you have your LCD calibrated if you are not using an external monitor. Today I shot with the $3500 Panny HD-SDI in monitor with the XLH... WOW... stunning... HD-SDI is NOT just for record out, it is GREAT for monitoring.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 12:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Ash,

Is this the brand new one from Panny, vector and wave built in... if so that's good to know...

Maybe when I get back to Springfield... us MO's and you Tuslan's who are in film and video should get together...

Tulsa's just a few hour drive... plus all my dad's folks are there... like I tell my cousin its takes me the same amount of time to drive to LA from the OC... except I'm moving the whole time..

But I can't leave until the end of March starting on a film here... actually I'll be in Tulsa on Sunday just driving my sister back to Missouri... the whole clan is getting out of high rent California...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM   #24
Trustee

Sounds good, just let me know... it was the Panny 1700W monitor....

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders