No P2? No Cineporter? Here's an Alternative... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:15 AM   #31
Regular Crew

5400 System Drive Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy
Robert,
When you switched to the 7200 RPM internal drive , specifically what did you notice as a performance increase?
Do you think this a mandantory change to guarantee reliable "capture now " performance.
Lenny,

Just as a note, I've been running Robert's set up EXACTLY without the system disk upgrade and have had ZERO problems in over 10 hours of capture time. I'm even running at about 80% capacity on the disk ... for what it's worth.
Old March 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #32
Go Go Godzilla

Leonard,

There's nothing about my post that is copyrighted - it's free-domain usage for the whole world to use as they see fit. If your PB blows up after using my setups, I never heard of you. (big laughs)

It isn't required to upgrade the drive to 7200rpm. It does or would come in handy if you plan to run multiple applications like PS, Peak, Deck or other processor intensive apps while FCP is online, but if you're running apps like those one at a time there'll be plenty of headroom for any processor bursting.

The *only* time a faster drive might help prevent dropouts is if you capture the full DVCPRO 1080 24p over 60i. We did just a few minutes of studio testing, just as a "what if?" scenario. Although it worked we did notice a few buggy dropouts. When we switched to the 7200rpm drive there were none. Don't quote me on that performance - there may have been other factors that caused those 1080 24p dropouts, but since we don't plan on using that format we didn't fully test it.
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #33
Regular Crew

i have a p2 card, no camera yet. i've updated my powerbook g4 w/ the p2 driver over at the panny site. i pop in the card into the pcmcia slot and nothing shows on my desktop. could it be because there is no footage on my p2 card? should the p2 card show up on my desktop(w a p2 card icon) whether there is footage in it or not? will finally be getting my camera this week...
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #34
Go Go Godzilla

Back to Life

I brought this back to life at the request of several people asking about Powerbook setups.
Old April 13th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #35
New Boot

Excellent info. After searching I finally found what I was looking for. I have a MBP and contemplating the HD upgrade. Now it has a 80gb 5400rpm. Reinstalled OSX w/o lang., extras and brought the use space from 16GB down to 6GB.

It does suck that there's no pcmcia port but I trust Apple knows what they're doing. Seems like a lot faster posibilities for the future.

In any case, I'm lazy and don't want to risk getting the wrong drive. Can you suggest the model, price and store you got it from? I wonder if it'll work being you have a PB and I have a MBP. If I find more I'll post.
Vince Keala Lucero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #36
Go Go Godzilla

Vince,

I've migrated all the laptop duties to just the MBP. I'll be posting my HVX-to-MBP setup guide next week. Look for that and all your questions will be answered.
Old April 17th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #37
New Boot

You da man Robert. Could you also include any use of external USB drives as an option to bypass the need for a expresscard/34?

Mahalo,

vince
Vince Keala Lucero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Keala Lucero
You da man Robert. Could you also include any use of external USB drives as an option to bypass the need for a expresscard/34?
I don't recommend this. USB is barely able to keep up with DV25.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #39
Go Go Godzilla

Vince,

What David said.

No USB drives will be tested since USB is not a stable or reliable video-data transport method, only FW devices will be used and rated.
Old June 16th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #40
New Boot

little problem capturing straight to MBP

Hi, I'm quite new to this forum and am enjoying to read new threads and replies every day! I own a hvx-200E (pal) and am editing on fcp 5.0. Now, since I don't have any P2 cards yet I tried to capture dvcpro hd 1080i through my MBP 17". 1080i50i is the only format fcp 5.0 will let me capture through 'capture now', this is probably because my camera is a pal version and my fcp is not universal, right?
ok so anyways, the first time i tried this it worked perfectly, the only thing was that i had to render everything in the timeline. Then on the following day i tried it again, this time the clips did not have to be renderd but there were consatnt drop outs when i tried to play them in the timeline. I did overcome this by setting the video quality to low in the timeline under 'RT'

What am i doing wrong? I did set fcp to 1080i50i in easy set up and put in to non controlable device, and of course set the camera to 1080i50i.
Am i having problems because I'm not using fcp 5.1? or am i doing something else wrong?

and by the way this forum rocks!
Narayan Van Maele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #41
Go Go Godzilla

If you are trying to do everything from just the interal HDD in the MacBook Pro then you're overtaxing the resources, which is why you're getting "drop outs" during playback.

If you follow this guide on how to optimize your system for direct capture then you need to get an external drive to actually capture to.

If you're going to actually edit from the MBP especially in 1080i then ideally you'd need 3 external FW drives to keep things running smoothly: One drive to put all your capture files on, a small second drive for things like thumbnail/waveform cache and render files, and the third to keep the project and backup files on. Be sure you create 2 distinctly separate FireWire busses on the laptop by using the Express Card 34/FW adapter.

Read the guide for details on setup strategies.
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #42
New Boot

thanks

thank you robert!
I do have an external HDD but it's an fw 400, which i believe, from reading your thread 'no P2 cards?...' is not ideal. The thing is that the clips are captured perfectly, without drop outs (when i look at the quicktime files) but its only in fcp 5 where the drop outs occur. Sorry if i just didn't understand your reply fully. I would shoot in 720P but fcp won't let me select it because my camera is pal and only the options for ntsc are to be found in fcp 5's easy set up. but fcp 5.1 shoul resolve that problem right?

Thank you very much for your reply
Narayan Van Maele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #43
Go Go Godzilla

I've never had to consider any PAL configurations so I won't be any help there. Barry, David S. or others would be better suited to ask that.
Old June 16th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #44
Barry Wan Kenobi

FCP5.1 doesn't support 720/25p or 720/50p either.

You can get support by getting Imagine Software's HD Log software; it lets you export a 720/25p or 720/50p clip in a format that FCP can understand.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #45
New Boot

pretty bad

thanks barry, that's pretty bad that fcp5.1 doesn't support 720p25 and 50, i though it was only the PN format it didn't support. So that means even if i get a P2 card i won't be able to capture 720p directly through final cut but have to use HD log first. Do you have any idea when fcp will support us pal users too? Untill then I might just have to use the camera in the DV mode:(
Narayan Van Maele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders