HVX-200 footage! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM   #16
Major Player

Cassidy,
You are gonna give your HVX to REEL | STREAM?
I bet you mean a DVX (REEL | STREAM doesn't do HVX...yet, if ever)
in that case I would love to see the comparison between the two:

HVX vs DVX(REEL | STREAMed)

super Nice Footage !!!
Keep it coming
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gundu
For the second half of the video, I believe he adjusted the Speed in the timeline by 40% with frame blending.
That's what I suspected but don't understand. If you have 60 progressive frames each second, and conform them to 24 progressive frames per second in a NLE's timeline, there shouldn't be any frame blending -- or at least no need for it, anyway -- just 40% speed footage.

Cassidy, do you think this was a function of a setting (such as frame blending) that would normally be used for interlaced footage being turned on unnecessarily, or is there a peculiarity of the 60p itself that causes this? It is really tough to tell when I can't do a frame advance, just random pauses, but it gives the feel of a pull-down cadence problem a la DVX100 or XL2...but that should be impossible with true progressive footage. Any ideas what's happening?
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

The NLE did it. He said in the file that he turned frame blending on.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #19
Wrangler

Cassidy,

Assuming Barry Wan Kenobi is correct (as usual) and this was nothing more than an export "oops"...

If you have the time, I'd be interested to see a re-export without the frame blending as a downloadable QT file, as many of us can't enjoy the full resolution of the picture in a small embedded web page window.

It is wonderful thing to shoot HD, eh?
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #20
Regular Crew

bob this is correct
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
Cassidy,
You are gonna give your HVX to REEL | STREAM?
I bet you mean a DVX (REEL | STREAM doesn't do HVX...yet, if ever)
in that case I would love to see the comparison between the two:
Hey John, yes I know they haven't confirmed that HVX will be able to work with andromeda.. but why wouldn't they develop this technology ASAP... so when they do, I think we'll get some beautiful images...
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Bauer
That's what I suspected but don't understand. If you have 60 progressive frames each second, and conform them to 24 progressive frames per second in a NLE's timeline, there shouldn't be any frame blending -- or at least no need for it, anyway -- just 40% speed footage.

Cassidy, do you think this was a function of a setting (such as frame blending) that would normally be used for interlaced footage being turned on unnecessarily, or is there a peculiarity of the 60p itself that causes this? It is really tough to tell when I can't do a frame advance, just random pauses, but it gives the feel of a pull-down cadence problem a la DVX100 or XL2...but that should be impossible with true progressive footage. Any ideas what's happening?
The first clip is just 60p footage conformed to 23.98 which I see no frame blending when i go frame by frame, which confirms that this is the right work flow..

The intension behind slowing this "conformed" footage to 40% was to make it slower. Even though I knew there would be frame blending... you can't pull blood from a stone, I wish i could.

So the first clip should be a perfect representation of what a variable frame rate like 60p looks like in a 23.98 timeline.

Although we will definitely try some different shutter speeds, maybe we can break some stuff out on the street.

I will also try to make downloadable links... I run into this problem with windows media player when i want to go frame by frame... I can't. Which is probably what your referring to by not being able to "frame advance" I know that is frustrating.
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #23
Wrangler

So rather than "conforming" (at least by the After Effects definition of the word) to a new timebase -- making a 60p clip into a 24p clip -- you simply slowed down the footage to 40% speed while remaining in a 60p workflow? If so, then I understand the frame blending. If it was conforming...taking "X" number of frames over "Y" amount of time in 60p and making a clip that is "X" number of frames over "Y x 2.5" time, at 24p...then I'm still confused about it, as no new frames would be created. (Note: error in formula EDITED after original post)
Old February 4th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I don't know about other NLEs but in Final Cut Pro, when you do a SlowMo (speed change of any sort), you can turn off frame blending. I'd consider that ability a must have when doing this sort of thing with the HVX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy Bisher
The first clip is just 60p footage conformed to 23.98 which I see no frame blending when i go frame by frame, which confirms that this is the right work flow..

The intension behind slowing this "conformed" footage to 40% was to make it slower. Even though I knew there would be frame blending... you can't pull blood from a stone, I wish i could.

So the first clip should be a perfect representation of what a variable frame rate like 60p looks like in a 23.98 timeline.

Although we will definitely try some different shutter speeds, maybe we can break some stuff out on the street.

I will also try to make downloadable links... I run into this problem with windows media player when i want to go frame by frame... I can't. Which is probably what your referring to by not being able to "frame advance" I know that is frustrating.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
I don't know about other NLEs but in Final Cut Pro, when you do a SlowMo (speed change of any sort), you can turn off frame blending. I'd consider that ability a must have when doing this sort of thing with the HVX.
Think about it though... and i did try it... if you take footage that only has 60 frames and you slow it down 40 percent... your going to get 2 or 3 frames in a row if you don't use frame blending... (using a 23.98 timeline)

again, you can't pull blood from a stone... you can only extrapolate so much data... If I did do this... it would be choppy. It's an aestheic taste at this point. So if I wanted a choppy slow mo, i would uncheck frame blending.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
So rather than "conforming" (at least by the After Effects definition of the word) to a new timebase -- making a 60p clip into a 24p clip -- you simply slowed down the footage to 40% speed while remaining in a 60p workflow? If so, then I understand the frame blending. If it was conforming...taking "X" number of frames over "Y" amount of time in 60p and making a clip that is "X" number of frames over "Y x 2.5" time, at 24p...then I'm still confused about it, as no new frames would be created. (Note: error in formula EDITED after original post)
Actually, what he did was he conformed the footage to a 23.59 FPS timeline, then, in the second half, he turned the speed of that clip down to 40% of the speed after it had been conformed, and when he did that, he added frame blending to keep it from being too choppy.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes, Tom.. right on the money.
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #28
Wrangler

Sorry to belabor this. I meant it to be a straightforward "Method A" or "Method B" sort of question. But now that my morning cappucino has kicked in, I think that I can figure out the answer that hasn't been explicitly stated.

I'm realizing that since both the normal-motion and slow-motion versions of the scene are in the same file, they have to be displayed using the file's frame rate...almost certainly 60p or 60i because the normal-speed doesn't exhibit anomalies. If the slow-mo version is in a 60p/i file, there will have to be either frame blending (60p) or a pull-down scheme (60i) for the slo-mo .

If the slow-mo were actually conformed from 60p to 24p -- eg, taking 60 frames and displaying those 60 frames in 2.5 seconds rather than 1 second -- it would have to be saved to a separate file with a 24fps timebase.

This and Cassidy's indication that frame blending was absolutely necessary, pretty well answer the question for me: the slow-mo has the "coin doubling anomaly" because it was kept in a 60p or 60i timeline, rather than being exported as an actual 24fps file (which would not require frame blending).

Would still look forward to a downloadable, 60p-to-24p conformed slo-mo, but at least I'm confident now that the anomaly was a NLE workflow issue, and NOT a camera output issue.

EDIT: Just read Tom's post...thanks for explaining the workflow; that's what we needed. So conforming from 60p to 24p, and then doing a timeline slo-mo of 40% gives us slo-mo of 16% of realtime, if I did my morning math right.
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Would still look forward to a downloadable, 60p-to-24p conformed slo-mo, but at least I'm confident now that the anomaly was a NLE workflow issue, and NOT a camera output issue.
I put a download file link underneath the movie now... just right click save as...
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Ok here is a full-res quicktime file of the first half of what i posted earlier...
My compression settings were H.264 set to high, not best.. to keep the file small... so i may have contradicted the full res statement.

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx2...4conformed.mov right click save as

Here is my sequence setting...

http://www.motivitypictures.com/hvx2...60_setting.jpg
Cassidy Bisher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders