HVX200 + MPIC 35mm Imager - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 26th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #61
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Coulter
Steev, you do great work. You have a tremendous eye for cinematography.
Thanks so much. I hit a point of exhaustion after a streak of heavy shoots and work lately, and you're helping the recovery back to a stride.

Quote:
Let me get this right: you've got the HVX, Dan's adapter, and then do you just put a variety of Nikon photo lenses onto Dan's adapter to get that amazing film look?
That's basically it. The 35mm imager and lenses on the HVX200 is very magical combo.

Quote:
...if you could just give me the steps of what I need from the time I remove the matte box off the HVX...and so on...man, I would be forever grateful to you. Thanks endlessly for sharing your clips, your knowledge and wonderful talents.
From the HVX200 out to the Nikon lens, here's what I have that's working on the HVX with the MPIC:

HVX200 -> 82mm-72mm Step-Down Ring -> 7 blank 72mm thread UV filters of various brands to achieve about 2 inches of distance -> MPIC device which has 72mm threads on one side and a Nikon mount on the other -> Nikon lens. Additionally the MPIC comes with a Cavision mount and rails.

The procedure for assembly is:

Take off the stock HVX Matte Box. Mount the Cavision plate to the HVX200, then mount the tripod plate to the underside of the Cavision. Put all that on the tripod. Screw the MPIC device onto the HVX200. Then slide the rails into the MPIC device and Cavision mount, and tighten down the rod tightening levers. Mount a Nikon lens on the front. Adjust the HVX200 to Zoom 77, Focus 00. That's it.

Quote:
Jumping ahead, if I can get the 35mm adapter from Dan, what is a good standard medium sized Nikon lens to go with? For instance, what lens did you use on the nice DOF shot you took with a man and a little girl sitting on a grassy bank?
I have a 35mm f/2, 55mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.4, and a 105mm f/2 Micro Nikkor. The man with girl shot was with the 105mm. The lake shot was with the 35mm I believe. To tell the truth, I've used the 35mm, 55mm, and 105mm, but not the 85mm. I may end up selling it and getting a 80-200mm zoom. Having a 20mm lens or wider would be cool to have too.

Quote:
Should I go with B&H? I notice they're accepting orders, but don't have any in stock. How long do you think I'd have to wait?
I ordered from B&H and I got mine relatively quickly. Since they are a sponsor here, I can recommend them to you. Regarding how fast you'd get a hold of one, you should call them and inquire.

Thanks again for the positive words!

-steev
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #62
Tourist

Thanks Truly

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to what must be totally repetitive to you, but know that it is appreciated more than you know. So, what's going on for you these days? Cool projects? Have you shot the music video I read about on here somewhere? Keep it up, man.
John Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #63
Major Player

I'm reposting this hack here since this thread is already started.

This hack is to achieve flipping the built-in LCD on the HVX200 for use with a 35mm adapter.

Thanks to David at DVXuser for figuring this out - http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=53456

In short, you take the cover off the LCD joint, and insert something to press a switch to engage the flip. After seeing David's photos, I took a close look at the cover. I discovered two side notches that look like the main release levers. I used a 90 degree allen wrench to push these in. I wasn't sure of the other two notches on the top and bottom, but inserting a small jewelers screwdriver on the top released it.

Look at this photo here to see all four notches you need to release. The piece easily comes off if all notches are released.

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick1.jpg

Here are the rest of my photos showing the cover with all four notch holes, the tie wrap I inserted that conveniently holds in place by tucking inside the LCD inset compartment (or whatever you wanna call it).

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick2.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick3.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick4.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick5.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick6.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick7.jpg
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/hvx20...FlipTrick8.jpg
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #64
New Boot

Hey Steev,

I really enjoy seeing all the work you've been doing. I'm trying to decide which 35mm adapter to get and want to ask your direct advice since you've got alot of MPIC time under your belt. I've pretty much given up hope for the Cinemek so my decision rests between the MPIC and M2. However, I'm really concerned about light loss and from what I understand, the MPIC may have the least.

I don't believe you've tried the M2 yet but I wanted to ask you if you feel the MPIC may be the best adapter out right now in terms of light loss, sharpness, etc... Do you recommend I go for it?
Albert Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #65
Major Player

I want to add to this thread that I'm now selling the MPIC to recoup $$. Private message me if interested. :)

-steev
Old August 7th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #66
Major Player

Any information on what kind of achromatic close up lens should be used to fully frame 35mm frame? Would Canon`s 500D do?

Regs,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi
Any information on what kind of achromatic close up lens should be used to fully frame 35mm frame? Would Canon`s 500D do?
Regs,
T
I highly recommend the RedRock Micro HD achromat. It can get rid of any vignetting entirely.

-steev
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #68
Major Player

Steev,
You went from the MPIC to the Redrock?
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #69
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton
Steev,
You went from the MPIC to the Redrock?
Well that's a deeper question that I can answer separately. However the question at hand was what achromat lens to use with the MPIC. And to that I replied using the HD achromat by Redrock. Using the achromat with the MPIC is different than using the whole M2 system by RedRock.

Regarding me and RedRock, I now own the M2 system, yes. I have yet to do a full report on my usage, examples, and opinions. That's all I'll say in this thread about it, since this thread has always been about the MPIC. Thanks!

-steev
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
It can get rid of any vignetting entirely.
with preserving (lens)original AOV?
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:28 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Steev,

WOW... i am sooooooooo impressed by your test and the Pana HVX 200 along with the 35mm adapter WOW....Thank you so much I spent a good 2 hours reading it all!!!

I have a quick question, is the MPIC 35mm give out the same results as the RedRock M2? Also what is the price for these adapter around 2-3g's ? Finaly Let's say I buy one or the other, do i need another form of adapter to mount it on or it's a matter of removing the stock lense and putting the new adapter?

Sorry for the silly questions, Im doing my best to learn as much as I can.

Regards,
Joey
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #72
New Boot

Check out the Brevis35 too

I've been having great success with the Brevis35 from Cinevate. Here's some test clips:

http://bgundu.powweb.com/movies/tracksLaneway.mov
http://bgundu.powweb.com/movies/OneMinuteTooLong.mov
http://bgundu.powweb.com/movies/push...ola_Bgundu.mov
Bob Gundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #73
Tourist

MPIC+ M2 acromat?

Hi Steev,

I have the MPIC, FF and gears, and most of what I do with e.g. a 55mm 2.8 micro nikkor, 85mm 2.0 and 17-35 2.8 looks great. But I have one little thing that I can't solve: on the 17-35mm I can't use the focal lengths below, say 22mm, because of vignetting. I normally use the same setup as you (00/77), but have tried with a Century Optics x7 achromatic diopter, on Dan's advice. Still doesn't quite get rid of the vignetting in those situations. I plan to shoot some white paper to create anti-vignetting layers in fcp, but I wonder if you have tried the M2 HD acromat with the MPIC? -If so, do you think it'll rid me of vignetting at these (admittedly) low focal lengths?
best, soren
Soren Kjaer Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM   #74
Major Player

It might not be a matter of adapter but lens. To determine it more precisely try some really expensive lens for wideangle. Btw it seems to me that Your lens might be designed for dslrs. Those have definately unacceptable vignetting using fullframe. Because of they're designed for smaller target area. You can find in given page lens vignetting characteristics as well.
Frank Hool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #75
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soren Kjaer Jensen
on the 17-35mm I can't use the focal lengths below, say 22mm, because of vignetting.
Provided the lens is not a DSLR type, you can get rid of vignetting using the Red Rock Micro HD Achromat. I've tested it, and you can get more zoom "grab" with the Achromat, enough to get past any vignetting due to the small rear element on most zoom lenses. You can order the Achromat online from www.redrockmicro.com

-steev

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders