HVX Longform... it just wont cut it... yet... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Inner Circle

HVX Longform... it just wont cut it... yet...

Just curious about what people think abotu the HVX (at this time) for longform work..

heres what im considering to be a decent workflow, but again, this is newar future, not now...

Shoot HVX P2, use P2Store and transfer data on the fly
Will def need at least 2 8gb cards, hopefully we'll see larger cap cards soon... but for now, 8gb is what we got to play with..

Now, seeing as there is a mountain of work, i ned to archive these jobs... the only real option at this time for archiving is either HDD, or BlueRay.
Now for me, i usually have about 10 jobs waiting in the que, average between 6 to 12 hours of raw material for each job, be it wedding seminar, party concert etc etc..

HDD archiving at this time will just be too much $$ (ive got 2 TB on one machine and 1TB on another and even these are pushing their limits using DV and HDV)
So next opion is BlueRay... hopefully bluw ray will be out withn the next 4 months or so.. but it seems to be the only viable option at this time when it comes to archiving...

basiclaly from the P2Store, to PC, to BluRay, then to the fireproof safe for archving until the edit begins...

I am yet to be able to think up of another option of archiving, and of course this is all relative to cost.
Im seriosuly considering jumping ship to the JVC or Canon simply for the archiving abilities of tape, but i am loathe to jump on teh HDV ship as im using Z1s now as well, and im less than impressed. Like DV, over time, u DO start to notice the HDV nuances as as i require either umcompressed audio, or audio bitrates higher than 448kbps HDV jsut doesnt cut it for me...
Another option ive seriosuly been considering, is the SonyF330 XDCam. Th eonly issue with this is the Cost, and with this, i WONT be able to have 2 identical units, as id only be able to afford one.. if that...

so what are your thoughts on this??
Were talkin archiving for at least 3 to 6 months before i can even get to an edit from teh day of shooting.. another option of course is to get another staff member, but that in itself i anoher headache..

thoughts are greatly appreciated...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Rextilleon

I dont think the HVX as it is presently configured makes much sense for long form work (particularly in the HD mode). If it is HD you want--then HDV is the way to go and the Canon or JVC make the most sense. I am kind of in the same situation as you are and I'm currently researching the other two cameras.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Actually, the project I have coming up wil absolutely be long-form - we'll probably end up with 8-15 hours of content just for Volume One!

To me, the issue of archiving would be the same regardless of which camera I'd be using. One way or another, whether it's capturing to a PB, shooting to P2 or even traditional tape, eventually all that original footage has to be stored in some way.

Once the project is finished I plan to archive to HDDs. The shelf life will outlive me, they're not limited to Blue-Ray disc size and they don't have the limitations of tape - especially when stored for long periods.

Did you know that commercial tape libraries have a rotational schedule whereby they cycle-wind each tape from begining to end once a year just to keep the tape from sticking to itself? Who wants that kind of hassle?

There is no perfect archiving solution, but my logic says that HDD's are more cost effective long-term, more stable and will outlast even Blue-Ray. But on that last point, I'd be long dead before either a Blue-Ray's pits were unusable or a HDD's platter lost it's magnetic integrity. (laughs)
Old February 8th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Working on a two-hour documentary for a well know cable channel right now, using Varicam as well as the HVX-200. About 50/50 split, as we have two HVXs and one Varicam. All the B-Roll and interviews done with the varicam, but the recreations...a majority done with the HVXs.

5 4GB cards and a P2 Store make the swapping out of cards fast and easy. Transporting to a big 1TB G-Raid for me to convert, and transfer the footage to internal 400GB SATA drives, that I take out and shelf. The cost of the one drive easily outweighs the cost we would have incurred with the 30 hours of P2 footage. (DVCPRO HD tapes are $26 each).

Sure, there are a LOT of clips to sort thru and label, but that is what I'd be doing had they come in on a tape. Once Blu-Ray comes out, we might back up again to them...but we wouldn't rely on them. Scratches can be murder.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

With BlueRay(XDCam discs) they come in PSP like disc enclosures, so scratches arent an issue.. also with scratches, u can take them to ur video store and get the scratches buffed out with their high speed disc repair systems.. either way, there is always an optical option..

predominately im considering the HVX for weddings and stage shows/concerts which run for at least 3 hours... and storage wil be for no more than 1 year either way..

Also, with the amount of work i do, and the fact im a one man band, i need a surefire quick solution without too many convoluted steps. I really dont want to add to much to my existing workflow, and Ive compensated for teh P2, and it can be managed, but from here, im seriously considering the the JVC, simply for the archival options...

I would honestly prefer the HVX.. i use DVX and Z1s now and the DVX is jsut a seriously kick ass system with a stunning dynamic range and colour rendition. The HVX is obviously the same, but if it comes down to it, i wont have a choice but ot jump ship.. which is something i do not want to do...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Last night at Moviola that very question was asked. Michael Cioni the Director of Operations DI supervisor at PlasterCity Digital Post said that the HVX200 is not ready for long form Documentary work.

Many of us were shocked to learn last night the Firestore is still having issues with the 100mbs stream from the HVX200. We were told that it's sw related and would get worked out, however I would stick with P2 for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
Just curious about what people think abotu the HVX (at this time) for longform work..
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Many of us were shocked to learn last night the Firestore is still having issues with the 100mbs stream from the HVX200.
If you're referring to the FireStore FS-100 for DVCPRO HD, that product isn't even out yet, it's still in development. It's a pretty far stretch to proclaim "issues" with something that hasn't even been released to the market. It's not fair to judge something until it's finished, is it?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm a LOT more interested on the Cineporter. Firestore just doesn't seem like such a good option, to me. I hope they deliver the product soon. As it stands, I'm still going for an HVX- just don't know if I shoud go with the NTSC or Pal model (this is my main issue- do Broadcast ready material, or do filmout ready material? Extra 20% on slowmotion, or Pal broadcast 720p 50 ?)

Sorry about the Rant :)

EDIT- I think for longform work, with the 8gb cards more Affordable, what is needed is an update to the P2 Store. a 300gb version would be the ideal, but a 200gb would suffice, I believe, for a good day of shooting for both concerts and event coverage (3 and a half hours of 1080i, I believe). What would also be needed was 2 8gb P2 cards and one 4gb one, (to give time for the first 8gbcard to dump to the p2store- some extra 4 minutes of time for the backup)

Oh, and the p2store should keep the current price for this upgrade :)
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pappas
Many of us were shocked to learn last night the Firestore is still having issues with the 100mbs stream from the HVX200. We were told that it's sw related and would get worked out, however I would stick with P2 for now.
Could you provide further details on what these problems are and what support you have for the information.

A serious issue for us is the ability to work long form with the Panasonic. The Firestore is one critical issue in that equation, and greatly affects our significant purchasing decision.

For that reason, our company is greatly interested if the information you provided came from a credible source.

Thank you for any further information you may have.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

I believe the CinePorter, like the FS-100, is being aimed for an NAB release, or at least Spec-Comm and Focus will say at NAB when they expect to release the CinePorter and the FS-100.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #11
Major Player

But I'm not even certain that Cineporter, which is supposed to be a p2 device will record 24PN.

These are workflow issues for long form

Our company is very concerned them. I'm just wondering about the source of the information.

I also heard that the CitiDISK™ HD isn't a capture device, but a download device.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Doug from Panasonic and others still said that the confidence is in the P2. I just wouldn't trust the Firestore until some time into production.

I like P2, when the prices drop it will be even better....

Shannon Rawls uses the Firestore with his two XLH1's. He has called them to report the timecode issues he has. It appears that Firestore is slow to deal with this, even though the XLH1 will be going on 4 months in the market place soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno
Could you provide further details on what these problems are and what support you have for the information.

A serious issue for us is the ability to work long form with the Panasonic. The Firestore is one critical issue in that equation, and greatly affects our significant purchasing decision.

For that reason, our company is greatly interested if the information you provided came from a credible source.

Thank you for any further information you may have.
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I wonder if the P2 Store can be user upgraded with a Seagate 160GB 2.5" drive. Anyone opened up the P2 Store? Hopefully the software in the P2 would recognize that it has a larger drive when the drive is formatted.

The only issue I've had with 8GB P2 cards is for continuous recording (eg concert). But the same problem exists with tapes, just not as often. For the bulk of my shooting, the 40 minutes I have in the camera (at 720/25pn) seems quite comfortable. The ease of editing later is awesome. It feels more like sorting stills than capturing tape.

As for backup, I just ordered a terabyte RAID array. I'll probably just keep everything I decide to use (or save) while editing in FCP rather than everything off the cards.

My calculation are not researched very carefully but HDD looks pretty cheap per hour of 720/24:

- HDD at approximately $1 to $1.50 per GB, or $4.50 per hour of recording. This is based on 500GB drive pricing.
- DVCPRO HD tapes at $80 per hour of recording
- DVCPRO tape at $20 per hour of recording
- mini-DV at $9 per hour for quality tape
Bill Southworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Southworth
- HDD at approximately $1 to $1.50 per GB, or $4.50 per hour of recording.
huh?

An hour of 100Mbps is about 52GB - $52 - $80 at your GB price...
Barry Werger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Regarding the FireStore FS-100, it is incredibly unfair to suggest that a product that hasn't even been released to the market yet "has issues" -- it's still in development, therefore how can anyone rightfully pass judgement on something that isn't even finished yet.

That would be like me coming over to take a look at your early rough cut, and saying, "dude, this sucks, it's not properly edited..." see what I mean?

Ugly rumors like this are horrible, they do more damage than any good, and they have no place here.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders