DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How's the HVX image stabilization? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/60230-hows-hvx-image-stabilization.html)

Roger Van Royen February 8th, 2006 11:52 PM

How's the HVX image stabilization?

Can anyone comment on this yet? Is it the exact same system as the DVX, or an improvement? All I can find looking on the internet are standard retail descriptions. It's important for my planned uses, so I'd appreciate any input.

Sergio Perez February 9th, 2006 12:53 AM

The original dvx OIS was very weak. I believe Barry Green said it was a major improvement over the DVX one, so this should be reasuring.

Barry Green February 9th, 2006 01:06 AM

It definitely seems better than the DVX OIS. Especially considering that the lens is some 20% more telephoto. I haven't tried 'em in a side-by-side yet, but just from first impressions I felt that the HVX OIS was more effective than the DVX's was.

Roger Van Royen February 9th, 2006 01:57 AM

Thanks to you both (Sergio, Barry). Yet another reason I'll probably opt for the HVX over a late model DVX.

Barry, any sense of how well the HVX OIS might handle closeups inside a moving car - assuming it's handheld, the car's not going over 45mph, and the road's well paved? I'll probably rent a Steadicam where I need super smooth traveling shots, but I might also just film from a wheelchair with the OIS on if I can get away with it. Mild camera shake does not bother me. In some cases it might even seem obligatory, such as an actor's P.O.V. while being pursued by an angry chihuahua (that's a real scene I have to shoot). Getting a good idea of the OIS's limitations would be very useful if you can impart that so early in the HVX's debut.

Peter Jefferson February 9th, 2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio Perez
The original dvx OIS was very weak. I believe Barry Green said it was a major improvement over the DVX one, so this should be reasuring.

I totally agree... teh DVX image stabiliser is very crappy.. BUT on the flipside, you learn better camera handling techniques... with HD progressive footage, the shake is far FAR more prominant..

Barry Green February 9th, 2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Royen
Thanks to you both (Sergio, Barry). Yet another reason I'll probably opt for the HVX over a late model DVX.

Barry, any sense of how well the HVX OIS might handle closeups inside a moving car - assuming it's handheld, the car's not going over 45mph, and the road's well paved? I'll probably rent a Steadicam where I need super smooth traveling shots, but I might also just film from a wheelchair with the OIS on if I can get away with it. Mild camera shake does not bother me. In some cases it might even seem obligatory, such as an actor's P.O.V. while being pursued by an angry chihuahua (that's a real scene I have to shoot). Getting a good idea of the OIS's limitations would be very useful if you can impart that so early in the HVX's debut.

I don't think any camera will deliver satisfactory results in a situation like that (car shots). You'd be much better off to strap the camera to the car somehow, using something like a CineSaddle or a StickyPod or some other proper car mount. We shot segments in the car for Zombie Hunter with a DVX and the handheld stuff is just not good enough (as far as I'm concerned) whereas the cinesaddle stuff is rock solid and totally professional.

Mike Marriage February 9th, 2006 03:49 AM

I had a quick test of the HVX stabilizer and you could notice the difference with it on, which is a good start. I thought it was about half as effective as the OIS in my trusty Canon XM1 (GL1). I wouldn't want to shoot handheld with a HVX without support, probably a monopod. It seemed to me that the control layout was also aimed more at tripod shooting than handheld. On a tripod, the controls are a joy to use.

Sergio Perez February 9th, 2006 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
I totally agree... teh DVX image stabiliser is very crappy.. BUT on the flipside, you learn better camera handling techniques... with HD progressive footage, the shake is far FAR more prominant..

You are absolutelly right Jeff. Nowadays, when I shoot with a PD170 (not much, by the way- just damn boring to use), it looks like I'm shooting on a tripod! And compared to my early dvx shots, my current footage in therms of stability is like night and day...

Roger Van Royen February 9th, 2006 04:32 AM

Anyone have examples of where and when they've used OIS with satisfactory results? If not with the HVX, then preferably with the DVX, since it's looking like the HVX system will be able to match or exceed it. Are there any tricks or pointers for using OIS to maximum effectiveness?

Sergio Perez February 9th, 2006 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Royen
Anyone have examples of where and when they've used OIS with satisfactory results? If not with the HVX, then preferably with the DVX, since it's looking like the HVX system will be able to match or exceed it. Are there any tricks or pointers for using OIS to maximum effectiveness?

Roger, I use OIS for shots I want to have a Handheld feel, like dinamic "realistic"footage. I never would use this for a fiction Dramatic shot where the serenity of a Tripod is needed. Think "Bourne Identity"for OIS and "Sense and Sensibility" for Tripod. OIS on the DVX can help you (with much practice!) to get a shot close to a shoulder mount big camera. If you take it out, think probably on amateur "America's Funniest Home Video" feel.