DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   KONA LHe/FCP and PB captured footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/60359-kona-lhe-fcp-pb-captured-footage.html)

Robert Lane February 10th, 2006 02:01 PM

KONA LHe/FCP and PB captured footage

Before I get totally wrapped up in my project and don't have time to post stuff, here's one last tidbit of something to watch out for with HVX footage captured on a PB and then using the KONA card to output the video on your edit system. This applies to shooting in 720p/30:

The KONA does not have a built-in preset or, "easy setup" for DVCPRO-HD 720p30, the closest it has is 720p60. If you use the KONA preset and import HVX footage shot in 720p30 (captured on the PB) into a timeline you'll have to render that timeline.

However, the easy workaround is to go into A/V settings in FCP, and select the built-in DVCPRO-HD 720p30 timeline preset. Then no rendering is involved and it won't affect the KONA output.

John Benton February 10th, 2006 03:25 PM

Robert
you dont mean a Kona on th Powerbook. You mean a Kona on a G5 that you then will edit on and output from?
What is your final product? DCVPRO HD Tape?
sorry I'm lost

Robert Lane February 10th, 2006 05:21 PM

Sorry John, should have clarified:

Our workflow is thus:

Shoot/capture to the PB in studio and location. X-fer those files to the main G5 edit system (or just simply plug in the external FW800 drive used for capture into the G5).

It is the G5 that has the KONA card.

Hans Damkoehler February 12th, 2006 10:09 AM

KONA output problem to monitor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
The KONA does not have a built-in preset or, "easy setup" for DVCPRO-HD 720p30, the closest it has is 720p60. If you use the KONA preset and import HVX footage shot in 720p30 (captured on the PB) into a timeline you'll have to render that timeline.

Hey Robert,

I've tried this and it works within the timeline ... no rendering. However, although I get a freeze frame on my monitor that is fed by the KONA, I do NOT get motion. What's up with that?

By the way, the PowerBook capture (using your suggested setup) works GREAT! Had a tremendously successful shoot yesterday!

Thanks!

Hans Damkoehler February 12th, 2006 11:43 AM

Found it ... never mind

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans Damkoehler
I get a freeze frame on my monitor that is fed by the KONA, I do NOT get motion. What's up with that?

Ooops ... had I used the Kona Preset for 720p/59.94 I would have been fine ... got it working ... thanks!

John Alton Disciple February 13th, 2006 03:36 PM

Hi guys,

I'm a PC guy considering a G5/Kona solution. My question is how are things working for you using 720p24 footage? That would likely be the most used format for what I do.

Is there anything you can think of that I should be aware of/consider?

Thanks

Robert Lane February 14th, 2006 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Alton Disciple
Hi guys,

I'm a PC guy considering a G5/Kona solution. My question is how are things working for you using 720p24 footage? That would likely be the most used format for what I do.

Is there anything you can think of that I should be aware of/consider?

Thanks

Yes: Get rid of the PC and step up to Final Cut Pro. (laughs)

So far the KONA has performed flawlessly in any codec selected. If you're going to get a G5 get the Quad-core. You'll love the blazing processing speed especially when it comes time to do rendering in a timeline.

3 years ago when I was deciding which edit system to use - and I seriously looked at Avid, Velocity, Matrox, Canopus, Pinnacle even the hugely expensive Sony XPRI system and put them all through a testing environment (except the Sony) - I eventually settled on the Mac/FCP combination and that was before the 4.5 HD version was out. If you haven't already made a huge investment in PC hardware/software, I'd highly suggest you look at the Final Cut Studio product line.

More and more editors who make a living from their edit bays are switching to Mac, and it's not because of any marketing hype, it's because of real-world performance and interoperability that the PC side just doesn't enjoy.

Well, you asked if there was *anything* I could think of, so there you have it. (^_^)

John Alton Disciple February 14th, 2006 02:00 PM

LOL - Spoken like a true Mac man. But, even I as an Avid (PC) editor can see that price being equal, Final Cut with the right hardware can be a wise investment compared to other systems. I'm still a bit timid about the idea, but the more I'm finding out, the closer I get to the edge =)

Now I'm down to more technical research. I've heard from other sources that a software RAID isn't as taxing on the CPU as I would think and could be used for HD editing (It was estimated about 1.2-1.4% usage at the most).

Any thoughts?

Robert Lane February 14th, 2006 02:22 PM

Having no test data to back up my instincts, I'd say that even though we've used soft-RAID for SD editing and HD testing I wouldn't want to rely on it. In fact, we're in the process up upgrading our external OWC FW800 drives to an e-SATA interface specifically for a 2-TB RAID setup.