Wolves footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

Wolves footage

Hey guys, Kevin Railsback of Pawprint Productions aksed me about camera settings for shooting dark wolves in the snow. I told him what I thought and asked him "hey, please share some footage when you're done."

Holey moley. This is just some flat-out gorgeous HVX footage. 720/24p shot at 60fps.

Check out this clip:

Mac users, native DVCPRO-HD clip: http://www.silverphoenixllc.com/wolves.mov

PC users, a Sorenson-compressed version:
http://10framehandles.com/movies/wolvesHD_720_Hi001.mov

(as always, please right-click and "save as..." instead of streaming, to preserve these people's bandwidth!)
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Oh man, that is VIVID!! What a powerful lookin image the HVX captures. :O Awesome.
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Amazing...

Wow! Holy Cow...

Call me crazy, but this looks as gorgeous as over-cranked film - NOT like a digi-cam clip at all.

Man, I can't WAIT to test this slo-mo on my camera!!!

And to think this isn't footage from a $60k body...amazing.

Gee, thanks Barry...now I'm gonna be up all night trying to figure out how to replicate this look. (^_^)
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #4
Inner Circle

i knew there was a reason why i stuck with Panasonic.. that just looks stunning.. not just for the colour gradation of the footage, but the PERFECT slowmo

cant wait to ditch these Z1s.. just hoping that Vegas will eventually support the DVCProHD codec...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
cant wait to ditch these Z1s.. just hoping that Vegas will eventually support the DVCProHD codec...
Ditch 'em now. Don't wait too long or the resale "Ebay" value will not be worth selling them.

Or, rent them out and make some money!!
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
just hoping that Vegas will eventually support the DVCProHD codec...
You and me both! :)

Check out Raylight, fromd dvfilm. It does allow HVX footage to be used in Vegas. On my older PC and my laptop I get about 12fps; perhaps a dual-core-aware version would get realtime. On an Athlon 4400+ I've heard reports of full realtime on 720p streams.

Hopefully Vegas will incorporate full native support as well.
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow! Inspiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Holey moley. This is just some flat-out gorgeous HVX footage. 720/24p shot at 60fps.
Barry,

Just wondering ... was this shot with an unchanged, factory-model HVX, or did it have a "Dinkins-esque" adapter on it? :o)

Thanks!
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
You and me both! :)

Check out Raylight, fromd dvfilm. It does allow HVX footage to be used in Vegas. On my older PC and my laptop I get about 12fps; perhaps a dual-core-aware version would get realtime. On an Athlon 4400+ I've heard reports of full realtime on 720p streams.

Hopefully Vegas will incorporate full native support as well.
One thing i jsut thought about, considering youre currently juicing Vegas with DVCProHD 24pn, have u tried to import 48p fotage in a 24p timline and UNDERSAMPLE it down to 50% and then ADJUST PLAYBACK down to 50%
IM thinking this might the way to get Vegas to do a full frame native slowmo... considering weve got the frames there.. i know vegas can handle multple framerates, so theoreticaly it could be possible.. i dont have a HVX so i cant test... :(
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #9
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Damkoehler
Barry,

Just wondering ... was this shot with an unchanged, factory-model HVX, or did it have a "Dinkins-esque" adapter on it? :o)

Thanks!
Unmodified. No adapter involved, as far as I know; just a stock HVX with five 4GB P2 cards in the frozen north of Minnesota. Oh, and a talented cameraman operating it!
Old February 14th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
One thing i jsut thought about, considering youre currently juicing Vegas with DVCProHD 24pn, have u tried to import 48p fotage in a 24p timline and UNDERSAMPLE it down to 50% and then ADJUST PLAYBACK down to 50%
IM thinking this might the way to get Vegas to do a full frame native slowmo... considering weve got the frames there.. i know vegas can handle multple framerates, so theoreticaly it could be possible.. i dont have a HVX so i cant test... :(
Not sure what you mean -- why wouldn't you just shoot 720/24pN at 48fps, and import that? You'd have 2:1 frame-accurate slow-mo with no post manipulation. Isn't that what you'd want, or am I missing something?
Old February 14th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

OMG that was beautiful!
Greg Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Not sure what you mean -- why wouldn't you just shoot 720/24pN at 48fps, and import that? You'd have 2:1 frame-accurate slow-mo with no post manipulation. Isn't that what you'd want, or am I missing something?
Umm.. hard to explain.. OK... how would Vegas run that slowmo???
Are you saying that if you simply import that 48pn (50pn for PAL) footage, it would be stretched to fill the 24/25p timeline??
effectivwly turning the 48p into 24p at half the rate?? with an autoamtic extension of duration??
With no effort??
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #13
Major Player

That looks great, but taking into account the HVX only has a 13x zoom wasn't the guy afraid of getting so close to the pack and become their next meal?

Let's hope it's not his DP their eating...
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #14
Trustee

Although the one made for Windows users looks extremely good, I’m still wondering if there is a way to play the native clip. Does anybody know of a way to play it or am I out of luck?
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #15
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Umm.. hard to explain.. OK... how would Vegas run that slowmo???
Are you saying that if you simply import that 48pn (50pn for PAL) footage, it would be stretched to fill the 24/25p timeline??
effectivwly turning the 48p into 24p at half the rate?? with an autoamtic extension of duration??
With no effort??
Correct, no effort. In fact, you don't even have to import it to see the effect, you can play it back in-camera and see the slow-mo effect.

The camera does it for you. It records the timebase of the clip (that's what you accomplish by setting it in 720/24pN or 720/30pN mode; that sets what the playback framerate will be). So if you record 60fps in 720/30pN mode, the clip will play back at 30fps, giving you 2:1 slow motion. Same thing if you record 48fps in 720/24pN mode.

When you import it into the editing application, that timebase is retained. So yes, it's automatic instant frame-accurate perfect-motion-rendition slow-mo (or fast-mo; don't forget you have 12, 18, 20 and 22 fps to choose from too).
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders