Dumping P2 to a hard drive through the camera - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #31
New Boot

It works...

With Barry's help, I have gotten the USB OTG drive to work. It was simply a matter of reformatting it on a Powerbook using the MS-DOS option, which is FAT 32. After that the camera recognized the drive and pushing the copy button got it to acquire the files from the P2 cards. The drive mounts on the Powerbook, and footage is unwrapped and opened in FCP according to the white paper workflow that Barry has linked to.

I'm able, therefore, to go out in the field with the camera and a battery powered 60 GB USB OTG drive (total cost: about $130 not including shipping). I can then later return home and offload the files to a firewire drive through the powerbook. So far, no corruption or problems with the files. The only drawback is that you can't confirm the footage is okay until you open it up in the computer (and I only have FCP 4.5 on the laptop, so I can't see it until I get to the desktop). But the system really works and will allow me to take the HVX on a trip tomorrow as planned.

Thanks, Barry!
Bill Noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Noland
With Barry's help, I have gotten the USB OTG drive to work. It was simply a matter of reformatting it on a Powerbook using the MS-DOS option, which is FAT 32. After that the camera recognized the drive and pushing the copy button got it to acquire the files from the P2 cards. The drive mounts on the Powerbook, and footage is unwrapped and opened in FCP according to the white paper workflow that Barry has linked to.

I'm able, therefore, to go out in the field with the camera and a battery powered 60 GB USB OTG drive (total cost: about $130 not including shipping). I can then later return home and offload the files to a firewire drive through the powerbook. So far, no corruption or problems with the files. The only drawback is that you can't confirm the footage is okay until you open it up in the computer (and I only have FCP 4.5 on the laptop, so I can't see it until I get to the desktop). But the system really works and will allow me to take the HVX on a trip tomorrow as planned.

Thanks, Barry!

Nice. I want to do this as well. Where did you buy your USB OTG drive from? What was the price and model?

Thanks

Justyn
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Ive been using two of these with my HVX200, and it has worked great. .

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec....iteria=AA30310

suggested by Barry. You can add your own HD or buy one with the enclosure from MWave. This is cheaper than the one previously mentioned in this thread. .You can buy four of these WITH hard drives cheaper than you can buy one P2 card. I use a 60gbdrive. . .
Vince Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #34
Barry Wan Kenobi

What kind of offload speed are you guys getting with those MWave enclosures?

Mine still hovers around 10 minutes, whereas others are reporting as low as six...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #35
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Curtis
I use a 60gbdrive. . .
They offer up to 100GB 7200rpm drive. One assumes the faster the drive the faster the copy. In order to really use this on location you need slightly faster than RT. Is that possible?

Ideally, one needs a box like this with 4 drives running RAID 50 for almost 2X greater Xfer rate and redundancy.

Would this allow RT Xfer?

Hitachi has -- or will have a 3.5 1TB 5400rpm drive. Wonder if there are enclosures that take 3.5" drives because that would be cool.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #36
Regular Crew

There is a website

www.barefeats.com

it is a great resource for storage solutions... Drive performance and such..
Jay Stebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #37
New Boot

Where to buy in NY

Hi,

Yesterday BH told me they finally shipped my camera her to Brazil. Saddly they dont have USB on the go, and they are the only store I know that ships to Brazil. But a friend of mine is going to NY next month, so if anyone could please, tell me some adresses there, where he could buy that enclosure, it would be much apreciated.

advices on the best enclosures and hard drives for this purpose are also welcomed.

Thanks,

Pedro
Pedro Faerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #38
Wrangler

Pedro

EBAY!!!!

There are lots there, and I'm sure many will ship to you.
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #39
New Boot

The only time I tried to buy something at ebay it never got here. Since I have a friend going to NY next week, I would still like the address of a store where i could buy that. But thanks for the tip.

Pedro
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Faerstein
The only time I tried to buy something at ebay it never got here. Since I have a friend going to NY next week, I would still like the address of a store where i could buy that. But thanks for the tip.

Pedro
Funny, I shipped a payment to an Ebay seller in Brazil once, it showed up 8 months later. I had long forgotten about it until nearly a year after, the item showed up in my mail, one day before I moved out of that address. I'd definitely use something with a tracking number next time.
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #41
New Boot

Repeating question

Where to buy in NY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Yesterday BH told me they finally shipped my camera her to Brazil. Saddly they dont have USB on the go, and they are the only store I know that ships to Brazil. But a friend of mine is going to NY next month, so if anyone could please, tell me some adresses there, where he could buy that enclosure, it would be much apreciated.

advices on the best enclosures and hard drives for this purpose are also welcomed.

Thanks,

Pedro
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:42 PM   #42
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
...In the meantime, if I get my hands on an HVX we'll probably stream live to a PC in the studio and I'll just use a laptop in the field at first. I'm hoping someone comes up with a nice compact battery powered Firewire drive in the coming months, otherwise I might bypass the whole "host drive" option and put the money saved towards a Firestore or Cineporter and be done with it!
exactly!....when they actually exist. does anyone have any more details on the focus from firestore? they keep saying end of march. i've got my fingers crossed as we are going aheaad with some shoot days in april and if the firestore isn't available, i'll just have to use a very long firewire cable gaffer taped to my laptop!

testing all this next week...firewire cable to laptop/desktop etc. the directo to computer/harddrive obviously works but probably most sensible to get a really decent harddrive....ie. firewire 800 compatible. am i right?

thanks for all the questions and answers....for a non-tech person like myself this is invaluable.

tim
Tim Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #43
New Boot

Usb on the go on ebay.

are any of you guys using this generic usb on the selling on ebay. There are some from hong kong that are really cheap. And also some from the US. The feedback from the buyers are very positive. I'm only regarding this option because the mwave canīt be shipped to Brazil and this itens can.

Any opinions are welcome.
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #44
New Boot

I read somewhere that 2.5" notebook drives have like 5x the shock protection. may be worth the extra bucks to have a secure drive. I know my hd footage is worth it.
Vince Keala Lucero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #45
New Boot

Iīm not talking about the hard drive, I'm talking about the enclosure.
Pedro Faerstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders