Apple's Report on FCP and HVX200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Barry Wan Kenobi

Apple's Report on FCP and HVX200

Looks like Apple's posted a whitepaper on using the HVX with FCP 5.0.4.

http://images.apple.com/finalcutstud..._FCP_Wkflw.pdf
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Thanks, that looks like good reading. Out of curiosity, how long does it take FCP to ingest P2 data directly and add the Quicktime wrapper, for say 1 GB of video?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Thanks Barry! I've copied this and plan to print it out and keep it with the HVX manual.

Good stuff.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM   #4
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Thanks, that looks like good reading. Out of curiosity, how long does it take FCP to ingest P2 data directly and add the Quicktime wrapper, for say 1 GB of video?
It's pretty fast. It appears to be about the same amount of time as it takes to just copy the cards over as MXF data.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

for some reason after reading that doc it makes me want to get that camera over all other cameras now.
Kevin Calumpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

What I learned

Hi all:

Thanks for the tip and link on this white paper. I learned that we can do a layback to a P2 card, at least for short enough project. Now the question is, will any post houses or dub facilities accept a P2 card as a finished work that they can make dubs to tape with? How cool would it be to shoot a show in 720 24PN, edit in FCP in 720P, output back to the card(s), send to a dub house and have the dub house upconvert your 720P P2 "master" to say, HDCAM or something that most broadcasters and clients will accept and then just return your P2 card along with your dub order?

Could be a pretty cool way to work for us poor people that cannot purchase a $65,000.00 HDCAM deck?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Dan, Have you been able to get the "record to P2" option to work.
I have tried & failed so far.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Barry: Excellent find on the HVX - FCP White Paper!

Dan: P2 cards are expensive and valuable items to be mailing around. Why not simply budget a cheap Firewire drive into each project, and dump your finished project to the FW drive and mail that?
Old March 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Trustee

I would caution against the word "cheap fire drive"
Make sure you are buying reliable drives. My understanding is that cheap drives crash more often. Am i wrong about that.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy
I would caution against the word "cheap fire drive"
Make sure you are buying reliable drives. My understanding is that cheap drives crash more often. Am i wrong about that.
The point is that even the reliable drives from Seagate, Maxtor. etc, are cheap now, especially compared to P2 cards. A Seagate or Maxtor FW drive should be around $120-170 USD, as compared to a $650 P2 card. I don't plan to mail out P2 cards to post houses. I'll simply back up my footage to a a few hard drive sources, dub it off to an affordable, but good quality FW drive, mail out that FW drive, and clear out the P2 card for further use.
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #11
Trustee

sorry Steve,
I agree with you. I get a little concerned because I do see people talking on these forums about cut rate drives and am afraid they will give the whole workflow a bad name if they are unreliable.
Suggest that you keep a backup drive until the client has recieved and back-uped himself. Backups should be the rule.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders