HVX Arrived = I love this thing. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #16

Dean,

Thanks. Yes, great thinking. I'm sure I'll try that out next time and will probably use it before then as well. I remember reading several of your post before the HVX was available and can really see how something like that would be especially useful for you as well. It's funny that you mentioned it, because just the other day (before I even got the camera) I was thinking that that was not a feature I had been seeing to many mention or comment on lately.

On another note for anyone following this from above:
One other detail that may help any of you avoid an unpleasant surprise when connecting the G-Drive Q (or any other drive with a SATA connection) to your G5. You will need:
1) 2-port Serial ATA PCI Card (to insert into the back of the G5)
2) SATA 2m Cable

When I ordered this drive from Guy at DVeStore, he knew right off the top of his head that I would need this stuff and told me. I sure would have hated to not have had that stuff yesterday and been unpleasantly surprised when I went to hook the G-Drive Q to the back of the G5 and not have found the place to plug it in!

Last edited by Guest; March 10th, 2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old March 10th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #17
Trustee

Sorry for continuing a little off topic, but if I understand you correctly you are connecting the G-Drive directly to the HVX to transfer the data from your P2 and the camera controls the drive? If so does the camera format the drive?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #18

Hello Chuck,

Not off topic at all. Yes, the P2's were in the HVX. The HVX was connected directly to the G-Drive Q, and the G-Drive Q HDD was not connected to anything else (except the power supply from the wall outlet).

On formatting - Yes, If I understand the instructions correctly on page 84, step #5 (summarized here) -

Only when the hard disk is not formatted:
Select Format HDD.
Then select YES.
Formatting now starts.

Then #6 with -
When formatting is complete select Copy to HDD

and so on.

It worked for me, and I was pretty happy about it. Although I REALLY want a 17" PowerBook, I will probably not purchase or use a laptop (for now) if shooting away from my home studio and will probably just carry two of these 250GB G-Drive Q's with me.

Last edited by Guest; March 10th, 2006 at 08:06 PM.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders