480i DVCPRO mode... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 10th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #16
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paul Young
Wells, its not even a timeline playback issue. Its just previewing the file right after import via P2 Import in FC. I understand the basic setups of timeline and fields.

How is it though, ill shot same exact thing in 480i / 30p, and theres no interlacing and final cut reads it right off the P2 card just fine. But when I shoot 480i/24p, the photage has fields and is interlaced? im sorry, that just doesnt make any sense to me. This camera should not be shooting interlaced clips when in progressive frame rate mode. Like I mentioned before, 30p doesnt have fields, why does this 24p/pa have it? Is anyone else using this format, and is it interlaced on import?

You are obviously new to how progressive 24 frames are attained in 480i and 1080i. This is how the XL2 and DVX does it also. Yes the sensor is recording progressively but it has to record to tape or the P2 as a NTSC signal which is 29.97 interlaced. So the clip in 24P is recorded as progressive and adds 3:2 pulldown. Just like when film is telecined to play on TV. When you select 24PA, the camera will also add interlacing but in a 3:2:2:3 pattern (advanced pulldown). The resulting clip is also interlaced but in a way that FCP can easily remove the redundant frames leaving the true 24 progressive frames. You do not need to do this in 720pN mode because it only records the 24 frames to the P2. When you record in 720P mode it records 60 progressive frames but the 24 are flagged.

Sooo... you have to in 480i mode, remove the advanced pulldown from the clip to get 24 progressive frames. You can do this in Cinema tools too. It's all there in the FCP online manual.
Bob Gundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I keep saying, no im not really new to 24p. What I am new to is this camera and im curious if im importing it wrong somehow or have something set wrong. I shot on the xl2 for sometime, and never had anywhere near this result (see image link) in the same exact mode. Not only that, everyone keeps refering to, since its 480i, its interlaced. Then why is it 30p results in progressive images and no interlacing in the same exact mode? And as well, when I tested 1080i 24p, there was no interlacing.

Im curious if anyone has done a test with 480i /24p, then import via P2 in final cut, see if you get same results...
Michael Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paul Young
Im curious if anyone has done a test with 480i /24p, then import via P2 in final cut, see if you get same results...
And we race to the finish line indicating that in fact you are *not* removing your pulldown!

http://www.holyzoo.com/000/images/ho...ownRemoval.jpg

That is the result after removing pulldown in FCP. This is the same for DV, DVCPRO, or DV50 captured to P2 on the HVX200.

Pulldown Removal:
http://www.holyzoo.com/000/images/ho...ownRemoval.jpg

Know it, live it, love it.
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Yes, I did remove advanced pulldown, and still the same. When I did do that, I was able to get it to read it as 24p, instead of 30, thats about the only thing that has been fixed. But, then if I have done it, why does it still look like this. As well, this is the warning I get if I try to do the remove pulldown once again. I feel like im having to defend every action I have actually done more than finding a result..hahaa...

http://www.designgraphik.com/x/picture2.jpg
Michael Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #20
Major Player

Dang, and I thought this was just a simple problem. I guess not.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders