DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   I've joined the dark side. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/62574-ive-joined-dark-side.html)

Dylan Couper March 10th, 2006 08:22 PM

I've joined the dark side.

Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.

Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!), overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.

I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!

Chris Barcellos March 10th, 2006 09:01 PM

Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??

Barlow Elton March 10th, 2006 10:08 PM

Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)

Glenn Davidson March 10th, 2006 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)

Now that's funny!

Dylan Couper March 10th, 2006 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??

Hmm... Guess you are right. How about the grey/blue side then? :)

Chris Hurd March 10th, 2006 11:34 PM

Well, knock me over with a feather. Congrats! You need a black cape to go with that.

Keith Loh March 11th, 2006 02:29 AM

Dylan, when I saw the thread title I thought you had bought a Macintosh.

Michael Wisniewski March 11th, 2006 02:59 AM

Darth Couper? Mwahahaha. HVX I see, you have. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice ...

Congratulations! May the P2 be with you, always. And remember, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Barlow Elton March 11th, 2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.

Yes, sounds like Darth Maul. He speaks to you from the netherworld of the dark side. He made a lot of noise in the beginning...but was gone all too soon. The master still seeks a more powerful apprentice.

btw, my H1 has taken to the Sith look, but its' miti-chlorian count is still off the charts! Jar Jar, not, it is. Oh, and it's light saber is really long, but sometimes too slow for battle. I've learned to let go and trust my feelings.

Quote:

Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!)
Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)

Quote:

overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.
Yes, the seduction of the dark side. he he, jk. Personally, my H1 uses the power of the dark side quite well. It's training has been slower, but it has mastered most of the techniques. I still wish it could make the jump to hyperspace though. (intervalometer)

Quote:

I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!
Just messin', bro. I can dig it. I've enjoyed the little trip back to the galaxy far, far away. The panny's a cool little camera, as are the other "jedi". Some have taken the easy path, others have not. Enjoy your HVX 1138 and may the force be with you.

Peter Sieben March 11th, 2006 03:06 PM

Hi Dylan,

Congratulations on your new camera. Now you have to shoot a new Lady hvX episode, okay?! ;-)

Meryem Ersoz March 11th, 2006 03:29 PM

what?? no 5D? next thing, you'll be saddling up a nikon D70. oh, where is the love?

Phil Hover March 11th, 2006 03:34 PM

I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)

Dylan Couper March 11th, 2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)

Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)

Meryem, the 5d will have to wait another 5 cases of ramen noodles, sigh.

Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...

Paul Farmer March 11th, 2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Hover
I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)

Phil -

Do it . . . and you'll never go "back"! :)

Barlow Elton March 11th, 2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)

:-)

Quote:

Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...
The PC side of the equation is a little more dicey, I think, at this juncture. Nothing quite as cheap and solid as the FCP solution, but there'll be plenty of good options on the PC soon enough. Does Avid Express HD offer the variable frame rate support?

Good luck and have fun with your camera! Post some cool footage!