I've joined the dark side. at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,308
I've joined the dark side.

Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.

Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!), overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.

I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 6,838
Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??
__________________
Chris J. Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Nevada City, California
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Enjoy! Just don't shoot the dark side with it. ;-)
Now that's funny!
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Hey--- I thought we Sony users were the dark side !!??

Hmm... Guess you are right. How about the grey/blue side then? :)
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Well, knock me over with a feather. Congrats! You need a black cape to go with that.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #7
Air China Pilot
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 2,389
Dylan, when I saw the thread title I thought you had bought a Macintosh.
__________________
--
Visit http://www.KeithLoh.com | stuff about living in Vancouver | My Flickr photo gallery
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #8
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Makati, Metro Manila
Posts: 2,706
Images: 32
Darth Couper? Mwahahaha. HVX I see, you have. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice ...

Congratulations! May the P2 be with you, always. And remember, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.
__________________
"Ultimately, the most extraordinary thing, in a frame, is a human being." - Martin Scorsese
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Well... I've gone and done it. After years of shooting shiny white Canon XL cameras, a matt black HVX200 is sitting evilly on my desk, laughing at me for caving and joining the dark side.
Yes, sounds like Darth Maul. He speaks to you from the netherworld of the dark side. He made a lot of noise in the beginning...but was gone all too soon. The master still seeks a more powerful apprentice.

btw, my H1 has taken to the Sith look, but its' miti-chlorian count is still off the charts! Jar Jar, not, it is. Oh, and it's light saber is really long, but sometimes too slow for battle. I've learned to let go and trust my feelings.

Quote:
Why did I choose an HVX200 over the XLH1? P2 cards (way of the future!)
Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)

Quote:
overcrank abilities, and an HD format that might play better to what I want to create.
Yes, the seduction of the dark side. he he, jk. Personally, my H1 uses the power of the dark side quite well. It's training has been slower, but it has mastered most of the techniques. I still wish it could make the jump to hyperspace though. (intervalometer)

Quote:
I haven't shot anything with it yet, as I celebrated the unpacking with several beer and a rather serious glass of Talisker. I suppose I'd better, time to see what this baby can do!
Just messin', bro. I can dig it. I've enjoyed the little trip back to the galaxy far, far away. The panny's a cool little camera, as are the other "jedi". Some have taken the easy path, others have not. Enjoy your HVX 1138 and may the force be with you.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 345
Hi Dylan,

Congratulations on your new camera. Now you have to shoot a new Lady hvX episode, okay?! ;-)
__________________
Peter / Orphic Film
www.orphicfilm.nl and www.myspace.com/orphicfilm
Peter Sieben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #11
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,012
what?? no 5D? next thing, you'll be saddling up a nikon D70. oh, where is the love?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Costa Mesa, The OC, CA
Posts: 87
I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)
Phil Hover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 8,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
Why do Hughes' urine bottles in "The Aviator" come to mind? (way of the future..way of the future**switch cards**...way of the future)
Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)

Meryem, the 5d will have to wait another 5 cases of ramen noodles, sigh.


Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...
__________________
Need to rent camera gear in Vancouver BC?
Check me out at camerarentalsvancouver.com
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #14
New Boot
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hover
I'm about to join the dark side and buy a mac :)

Phil -

Do it . . . and you'll never go "back"! :)
Paul Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UT
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Awesome, I didn't think anyone would pick up on that one! :)
:-)

Quote:
Got to say, the P2/variable frame rate setup has quite a learning curve to it. Wheras I'm confident I could have picked up an XLH1 and been shooting and editing within minutes, I'm stumbling through the manual with the HVX200. I'll have a bunch of pretty n00b questions in another day or so. At this point I haven't even gotten any footage on my PC yet.

And no, there is no Mac in my future. They are good computers, but I'm a PC guy. ALthough I still haven't figured out how I'm going to edit any of the HD footage...
The PC side of the equation is a little more dicey, I think, at this juncture. Nothing quite as cheap and solid as the FCP solution, but there'll be plenty of good options on the PC soon enough. Does Avid Express HD offer the variable frame rate support?

Good luck and have fun with your camera! Post some cool footage!

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 12th, 2006 at 12:20 AM.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network