2K Projector Tests with HVX at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 16th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #1
New Boot

2K Projector Tests with HVX

I did a little test today with a Christy 2K digital projector and my HVX. I have been very impressed with the camera so far. But now I'm just blown away at how amazing this camera really is.

The tests consisted of the some of the footage that I've shown here. The slow-mo skateboarding and the rifle being fired. I also threw in some footage from a near by Metro station at night using only available light. That footage was shot with the gain at around 6-12db. There was noise in the stuff that had almost no light. But I've seen worse with some super 16mm stuff. All of the footage looked amazing. It was very sharp and I didn't see any banding or micro-blocking.

The only complaint that I have is going from FCP to the HVX. I would like to be able to record in 24pn but it only lets you record in either 24p or 60p out to the HVX. Both of which eat up the space on the P2 cards rather quickly. Maybe the next version of FCP will solve this.

I'm hoping to do some more tests when I get some footage of a short I'm going to start shooting. All in all I was very impressed with how the footage looked up on a 30' screen.
Andrew Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #2
New Boot

I have seen your native wolves.mov and i found it very good (something very cinematographic) but really soft for a HD video... (It's like an upconversion of good SD video)...

Have you the possibility to compare side by side differents footages from other camera with the 2K projector ?

Have you tried to shoot EIA charts or detailed things ?

I agree with the idea : "definition is not all in picture quality". But if 720P is soft... What about 1080P ? Is it softer ???

A lot of questions... ;-)
Rodolphe Pellerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #3
New Boot

Rodolphe, I'm not the guy that did the wolves footage. I did some skating footage along with a rifle being fired. Those were some of the clips that I tested on the 2K. I haven't had a chance to shoot any charts and project them or test out the 1080p function. I've been stuck on the 720p mode because of the variable frame rates. That for me is a really big plus for the camera. Along with the P2 cards. I don't think I could ever go back to shooting on tape now. The test wasn't a formal test in any way. I just plugged the camera into the 2K just to see how it would do with out any messing with. I also have no idea what your talking about with 720p looking soft. Looks sharp as a tack to me.
Andrew Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders