Mix HVX200 and Varicam - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Clients can't tell much of a difference at all!

Glad to see others are realistic in calling the HVX a mini varicam. It certainly isn't that as it isn't in the same price league... and also the same functionality... and there in lies the beauty and place for this camera. I'm able to get shots with the HVX much more simply and more elegantly than with a varicam... Ther's physical space requirements that can't be accomplished with a varicam.. Let me see any of you get into a fully decked out racecar with a big expensive varicam... Or mount it to the roll bar like I did... Or walk inconspicuously close to the action without a press pass... I looked like a tourist with a fat handicam....

This camera is austensibly the same intrusion into a crusty and overpriced arena.. similar to how final cut was perceived and denegrated in an AVID dominated medium.. Now more people edit on FCP as they can own it and not just rent and/or be in major debt over having avid.. And now with final cut extreme, we'll be able to move into another price point and quality level...

Sure would have to be justifying an additional 100k for something that's so similar.... Renting is the way to go with the varicam... and ownership of the HVX for mear mortals....

Did anyone else see that 16mm to HVX footage comparison?
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM   #17
Trustee

I wont ever argue ownership or the merits of an HVX's use in places that a Vari either wont fit or is not appropriate. As I always say, pick the camera that is within the budget and appropriate for the job. If you only need to go 40mph, then the Festiva is as good as the Porsche. My beef is with the people who are ignorantly proclaiming the HVX can go as fast as the Porsche... to which I say, you are driving the Porsche very well =o)

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders