Macbook Pro as an HVX Capture Platform - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 25th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #31
Major Player

I haven't seen this mentioned, but if this has been mentioned, here it is again. ;)

Kaboom - www.barefeats.com/hard71.html

Nice. :)
Old April 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #32
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins
I haven't seen this mentioned, but if this has been mentioned, here it is again. ;)

Kaboom - www.barefeats.com/hard71.html

Nice. :)

OK, that does it. the MBP is now THE capture device for long-form studio work (save the Cineporter). Wow. Add that to the 17"-incher and I'm in HVX heaven.

Once I'm caught up with our shooting schedule it'll be testing time with the new SATA interface.
Old April 27th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane
April 21st - Well my new MBP has some pretty weird deal-killer issues. It doesn't boot reliably and things like Software Update just don't work, period... In a few months I'll pick up another MBP, hopefully all these bugs will be worked out by then.
Quote:
April 25th - OK, that does it. the MBP is now THE capture device for long-form studio work (save the Cineporter). Wow. Add that to the 17"-incher and I'm in HVX heaven.
Robert thank you for all of the constant updates.

So, are you getting one or waiting? I'm only asking because I'm thinking about ordering the 17" at any time now. But I agree with you in that I don't have the time (or the patience) to help Apple troubleshoot.

Should anyone wanting a MacBook Pro 17" to use specifically with a HVX -
go for it now :)
or wait a month or two :(

Especially since it will be a few months until DV Rack has their new HVX version out? (if you plan on using that program)
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #34
Go Go Godzilla

I plan to wait, Derek. The idea of a screamin' fast 17" inch MBP is appealing but I think I'll wait until Q3 when the next PowerMac is released. By then they'll have the major bugs smoothed out and, more 3rd party support both hardware and software will be in place.

Personally I don't see the need for DV Rack because if you're using FCP for direct capture then you have all that functionality built-in already, plus the added bonus that it deals with P2 footage as a native codec. I think DV Rack will be indispensable for PC-based capturing especially when the HVX-compatible version is out.

What would be really, really interesting to try and test, would be to have a MBP setup with Boot Camp, boot into XP Pro and run DV Rack from that setup capturing HVX stuff.

I tell ya, when the big bugs are ironed out for the MBP - and more importantly when the next PowerMac comes out - there'll be no reason to ever purchase another Win-Tel machine ever again. This changes everything.
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #35
New Boot

Hvx + Mbp

(First Post, of a new member)

Just picked up my HVX and the 17" MacBook Pro should be shipping on May 11th. I plan on shooting directly to a External Harddrive via the MBP for the next few months until the cineporter becomes available. The reason for choosing this production workflow stems from these forums threads and specifically Robert Lane's contributions.

I was saddened to hear that Robert chose to pospone further tests, but am still excited and waiting to start my own.

I've been able to shoot a few things while hooked up to my G5, and like what I've seen so far. Until my MBP arrives I am confined to shooting in one room and with tapes in the field. I've just had a day to play around with the HVX setup, and am still keeping a close eye on this thread.

Lets keep it alive!

Thanks guys,
Paul West Jauregui
MYOVER INC
Paul West Jauregui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
What would be really, really interesting to try and test, would be to have a MBP setup with Boot Camp, boot into XP Pro and run DV Rack from that setup capturing HVX stuff.
FYI, at the Serious Magic booth at NAB, the floor demo for DV Rack was the 15" MBP running XP via Boot Camp and the operator said the performance over the last few days was flawless...

Regards,

Jim Arthurs
Jim Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 05:57 AM   #37

Quote:
I plan to wait, Derek. The idea of a screamin' fast 17" inch MBP is appealing but I think I'll wait until Q3 when the next PowerMac is released. By then they'll have the major bugs smoothed out and, more 3rd party support both hardware and software will be in place.
Good points. I'm not sure if I'll get one now or wait. But you can be sure I'll be posting about my experience with it if/when I do!
Quote:
Personally I don't see the need for DV Rack because if you're using FCP for direct capture then you have all that functionality built-in already, plus the added bonus that it deals with P2 footage as a native codec. I think DV Rack will be indispensable for PC-based capturing especially when the HVX-compatible version is out.
Very true. I was just thinking since of using it since I already had it anyway and would just have to get the upgrade version.
Quote:
If I end up getting both, I'll do so. It would be good to see which works best, shooting straight into FCP or DV Rack.
Quote:
This changes everything.
It amazes me everyday and I'm thankful that I can be right in the middle of all these incredible changes.
Old April 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #38

Bit the bullet and ordered the 17" MacBook Pro today. I had a few reservations about getting something so new. BUT, I ordered it from one of the sponsors here, Guy @ http://www.dvestore.com who's been the best DVinfo sponsor I've worked with to date (and they are all good, so I guess he's the best of the best). Anyway, I know if I'm not happy with any issues he'll make sure Apple takes care of it. Thanks Chris Hurd for getting quality sponsors for your site.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders