HVX-200 as 2nd unit to a Varicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX-200 as 2nd unit to a Varicam

Would the hvx-200 (with a 35mm lense adapter) match up to the Varicam in comparision? I'm going to be shooting a feature, for theatrical release (hopefully) and was going to use 3 or 4 Varicams to shoot multiple angles at one time. Now if the HVX-200 would match up close enough I'll drop the 4th varicam and use two or three HVX-200s in addition to the 3 varicams.

What do you guys think... Could the HVX come close enough to the Varicam for it to work on the big screen?

(So I guess the title should be 4th, 5th and 6th unit.)
Andrew McCarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Maybe you'll have a problem with low light and noise, but besides that, I think you could match both.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The smaller CCD won't cause problems?
Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Well it could give more noise and more problems with low light, it needs more light, but besides that, I think you can match them, if you pay a bit attention to it.
HVX would give a bit less detail. Don't know if dynamic range would be less. But I'm sure that, as a b-camera, it can be used.
Can't you perform a test on forehand to be sure?
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I have intercut both and they cut together well. The Varicam is a bit sharper (better lens) and does better in low light (larger CCDs), but when we did a test and sent it to the History Channel engineers, they couldn't tell the difference. We had to submit footage with labels as to what was what so they could tell.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Playing with them both at NAB, shooting the same set, that sounds about right. They're really surprisingly close. VariCam definitely looks sharper, but overall colorimetry and "look" is close indeed. Obviously the VariCam can deliver a shallower DOF as well, and is cleaner in noise, but the difference in image is a lot closer than the price tags would indicate.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McCarrick
Would the hvx-200 (with a 35mm lense adapter) match up to the Varicam in comparision? I'm going to be shooting a feature, for theatrical release (hopefully) and was going to use 3 or 4 Varicams to shoot multiple angles at one time. Now if the HVX-200 would match up close enough I'll drop the 4th varicam and use two or three HVX-200s in addition to the 3 varicams.

What do you guys think... Could the HVX come close enough to the Varicam for it to work on the big screen?

(So I guess the title should be 4th, 5th and 6th unit.)
I'm on a Varicam/HVX feature right now.
Originally we intended to use the HVX to cut together with the Varicam but we determined that the footage from the HVX was too noisy to match. Of course everybodies idea of what matches differs.

A 1/3" CCD's and a fixed lens just can't do what 2/3" and expensive glass can do. I'm sure you could sneak a shot in here or there but I wouldn't suggest using it as your main "B" cam.

We decided to use the HVX solely for "flashbacks" and maybe some expressionistic point of view footage.
Michael Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm thinking about dropping the Varicams and going with SDX900s..... Would the HVX-200 match up to this or would it surpass it ? How would the 900s transfer to film?
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Major Player

Can't directly say anything about that camera, as it isn't out yet. But I am pretty sure that that camera will blow away the HVX, as the Varicam does. Really the only difference between it and the Varicam is the lack of a tape drive. Still has the 2/3" chips opposed to the 1/3" chips on the HVX...still the better lens that you can swap out for higher end models...better than the HVX built in.

They would transfer to film as you would anything...provide a file that the place doing the transfer asks for. If you shoot 24PN, then you are 24 full frames so it should transfer nicely.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM   #10
Regular Crew

As far as I know the Panasonic SDX900 is out..... according to the panny website it just dropped 11,000 dollars in price too. And I meant how well would it transfer to film... visually... I know I'll get a better picture from the Varicam but will the SDX900 be suitable for a 35mm print?
Old May 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes, the SDX looks terrific when upped to 35mm... I believe they go to HDCAM first, then to 35mm VERY IMPRESSIVE FOOTAGE!

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders