Reliable LA Vendor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:55 AM   #1
New Boot

Reliable LA Vendor

Hello all!

I plan on purchasing the HVX200 during my trip to Los Angeles next week. Can anyone recommend a fine store with the camera in stock?

I had originally intended to order it from Spec-comm, but they don't have it in stock and I absolutely must get my hands on the camera during next week.

Any information would be fantastic. Thank you!

- Jens
Jens Matthies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM   #2
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/index.php
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM   #3
New Boot

Thank you David!

Express Video Supply seems like the only LA option there, so it looks like that is where I'm going.
Anyone have any experience with this company?

Thanks again!

- Jens
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Jens,

I'm sure EVS is fine, but in looking at their price, it includes no P2 cards so check on their price for them. If you are going on just the base price, then B&H is $500.00 cheaper and that extra fmoney could get you overnight delivery to anywhere.

In addition, B&H has NAB show specials on the camera and the P2 cards until May 7th, and may have even a better price, you just have to call.

Just trying to help, but don't forget the overall price.

Mike

P.S.: Would help us a lot if you put your location in.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM   #5
New Boot

Much appreciated Mike!

I'm concerned as well over the $500 extra.
My problem is that I'd really like the option of walking into the store and actually buy the camera, as opposed to rely on B&H's shipping procedure.
I only have the window next week in the country, and if the item is delayed in shipping somehow, or they won't ship it to my hotel I'm screwed.
I've asked EVS if they are willing to come down on the price, but I'm not holding my breath. Ideally I'd like to find other stores in LA to compare prices with, but I'm having a really hard time finding any... Which is really strange since, you know, it's Hollywood and all.

- Jens

Edit: My location is Sweden :-)
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Matthies
Much appreciated Mike!

I'm concerned as well over the $500 extra.
My problem is that I'd really like the option of walking into the store and actually buy the camera, as opposed to rely on B&H's shipping procedure.
I only have the window next week in the country, and if the item is delayed in shipping somehow, or they won't ship it to my hotel I'm screwed.
I've asked EVS if they are willing to come down on the price, but I'm not holding my breath. Ideally I'd like to find other stores in LA to compare prices with, but I'm having a really hard time finding any... Which is really strange since, you know, it's Hollywood and all.

- Jens

Edit: My location is Sweden :-)

Much understood! Good luck to you.

Regards---Mike
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I didn't buy my HVX there, the waiting list was too long, but I have purchased several accessories including a matte box, remote zoom control and tripod from EVS. They are a great group to deal with. I don't know what deal they would cut on an HVX but when I was there I mentioned prices from other dealers and they always met that price. Competing with B&H is tough. I have purchased equipment from them before and have had no complaints, but usually local companies can't compete on the price alone. I will continue to buy from B&H down the road but as long as the price differences aren't horrible, I would rather support my local companies as they also provide better support, information and people to chat with who let you get your hands on the gear before you buy.
Gary L Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

The thing about LA is that it is not really a "bargain" market for gear. Out of work actors maybe. Most of the big equipment dealers won't give you much attention unless you have 6 figures to spend. And they are like that because so many companies here do have 6 figures to spend. EVS is a smaller place that caters alot to the indie feature crowd. You go in their showroom and it's all pro level gear but the smaller scaled down versions for market they serve.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks Gary!

I too get a positive vibe from this place. The price and availability are the only issues for me.
Did you buy your camera recently, or is it possible that they have worked through their waiting list by now?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM   #10
Regular Crew

You would have to ask them about the waiting list. I bought mine 2 months ago from a small shop in San Diego which had no waiting list at the time. EVS had well over 100 preorders as did all the major dealers. From what I have seen, Panasonic has ramped up deliveries and EVS may be through their list, but maybe not. Does B&H have them for immediate delivery? There is no one in LA selling the HVX that did not have a long preorder list. Alot of people like myself got around the wait lists by finding smaller shops not in major media markets. Information on shops that have HVX in stock pop up on this and other forums which I won't mention since they are kind of sensitive about that here.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:50 AM   #11
New Boot

B&H claims to have them in stock, but I tend not to trust that type of information from online retailers. They might be very reliable though, I just don't know...
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Matthies
B&H claims to have them in stock, but I tend not to trust that type of information from online retailers. They might be very reliable though, I just don't know...
BH is very reliable
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #13
New Boot

Th funniest thing happened.
I was halfway through the ordering process at B&H when BAMMO! it went out of stock.
Funny but not "ha-ha" funny.
Jens Matthies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders