HVX - Fox's "24" and Cine Adaptors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX - Fox's "24" and Cine Adaptors

First off, I'm a "24" geek. I started Season One in February and caught myself up on the first four seasons in two months (best written show on TV IMHO) ... thanks to Limewire I got caught up on Season Five (put it on iTunes and I'll buy a Season Pass already!) and, finally, settled down into my easy chair on Monday night for my first real installment of a fresh episode of 24.

Anyway, dramatic narrative is my thing and although I love my HVX the DOF is still a killer. I can't afford a mini35 and so I've been checking out the M2. It's much less expensive and my Grampa has a storehouse full of old, beautiful Nikon glass so my interest has really been piqued.

In doing research of the M2 I came across an article (linked below) on how the DP and crew of 24 have been trying out all of the latest HD camcorders, the HVX being one of them. (It's like Barry's shootout on a real set!) He and his team had some interesting, seemingly unbiased comments on the HVX (and others) that I appreciated as well as some really cool (and surprising) reviews on Cine Adaptors.

So ... if you've got comments on working with the M2 (or other) adapters or just want to comment on the article (or 24!) please pipe up!

Either way, I hope the article informs you ... some great descriptions on the difference in DOF between cameras.

http://www.showreel.org/memberarea/article.php?172
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for the article, Hans... I can't wait to read it. My wife and I are absolute FREAKS for 24, and we came late to it as you did. Whenever I'm able to save enough to purchase the HVX, I'm also going to be in the market for a 35mm adapter as you are. I haven't done my research yet on the Mini35, so I am wondering: what is their price range? Thanks!
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Hello Mark,
I am not sure on the prices. I have the newer
Nikon lenses I use with a D70, soon to be D200.
Anyone know if the Redrock will work with the newer Nikon Lenses?
Thanks

HVX-200, DVX-100, FCP 5.1, Edius Broadcast
http://www.MotionZoneHD.com
Mike Schrengohst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Pricing of mini35 and the M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ross
I haven't done my research yet on the Mini35, so I am wondering: what is their price range? Thanks!
According to a recent (12/05) DV article the mini35 has a BASE price of $7,455 ... that's more than the HVX itself. The M2 prices in at $1,295 for the HVX version and around $1,795 if you will be using primarily cine-lenses. I'm not clear on the difference. I know that you can use both still and cine lenses with the M2.

In regard to issues with lenses the RedRock site has a long FAQ that will help to answer some of the questions ... follow this link

http://www.redrockmicro.com/home.html

As a side note, for me I see the mini35 more as a rental item. The M2 prices in well for me to own because I have access to some quality still lenses and I want to be able to bring a cinematic look to a number of my projects that 1.) can't be achieved through DOF problems and 2.) wouldn't warrant the price of mini35 with lenses rental. I'm hoping the M2 will fill a need at a pricepoint that works for my budget.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

The mini35 base unit is about that, but it's not usable in that configuration -- you also have to have a camera-specific adapter unit. So for a mini35 you're looking at about $10,500 to get a functional unit.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst
Hello Mark,
I am not sure on the prices. I have the newer
Nikon lenses I use with a D70, soon to be D200.
Anyone know if the Redrock will work with the newer Nikon Lenses?
Thanks

HVX-200, DVX-100, FCP 5.1, Edius Broadcast
http://www.MotionZoneHD.com
If you're talking about, say, the G series lenses, I really doubt it. They have servo-actuated diaphragm blades, and I don't think there's any manual way to stop them down. I think the non-AI, AI and AIS lenses would be the way to go. And, fortunately, I have a ton of them. This is an extraordinarily exciting product!! (Even on my 2/3" beta, I was constantly fighting for shallower DOF)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders