HVX - 2fps - Las Vegas Strip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy
Barry, I don't want to speed up motion, just get the slow shutter effect that is so popular with the Sony cameras. Speed still remains normal. Clients ask for it.
I wonder if you could take the effect you're using. Say at 4fps or 8fps then in post slow the shot down to stretch it out to normal speed?
No problem, just shoot 720p mode instead of 720pN mode. It'll give you the exact effect you're looking for, at realtime playback, and with the added bonus of recording sound too.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
Pretty neat, Barry! Reminds me of NAB. What time was that? About midnight?
That was shot at about 9:30 p.m.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #18
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim White
On your frame rate lists Barry there is a glaring omission of 15 : 25fps - does it not exist or is it blocked for any technical or political reason do you know? Is there a similar omission with the PAL camera?
Don't know the exact answer to that. When I put in "15", it comes up saying 24fps, same as when I put in 14. Is it truly 24? Is it 25 just named 24? I don't know.

But this I do know: if it was 25, it probably would not be PAL-compatible 25. The crystal in the HVX is designed to generate NTSC-compatible frequencies, which means 23.976, 29.970, or 59.94 frames per second. The PAL camera delivers 25.000 and 50.000. And the frame rates are not the same between the two cameras even when they're named the same. For example, on the PAL camera, 12 fps actually runs at 12.500. But on the NTSC unit, 12 fps is 12.260. Dividing the crystal clock by various frequencies results in different actual frame rates, and it does make a difference.

So even if it said 25, it wouldn't be "real" 25 because the unit doesn't have a PAL-compatible crystal.

As to whether the 50Hz/PAL camera can use "14: 24" or not, I thought somebody on the other forum said it did. But if it does, I would be flabbergasted if it was 23.976 actual frames per second, instead I'd bet it'd be something like 24.21 or some other approximate rate, just like all the other frame rates are.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Any idea when the bandwidth will be back to allow d/l'ing?

Thanks, Mark
Mark Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #20
Barry Wan Kenobi

Wow -- that went fast! Unfortunately that server will have to wait until June 1 to come back on-line. I'll try to move the clip to a different server to get it viewable again...

EDIT: okay, it's back on line, at:
http://hvx200.moctel.com/Users/Barry...Strip-2fps.mov

I can't edit the first message, so Chris or other wranglers: could you please edit the first message to point at this clip?

Last edited by Barry Green; May 8th, 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
I can't edit the first message, so Chris or other wranglers: could you please edit the first message to point at this clip?
Done..!
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
WOW... that looks absolutely amazing.. im very impressed with the low light performance of the unit as well... i didnt see much noize and what i could see is acceptable for my needs as a producer..
At lower framerates more light hits the chip for every frame, so the noise can average out much more.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:07 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Finally got a chance to see the clip.

Pretty cool!

I recall doing something similar as a senior in high school in a friend's car with a Beaulieu movie camera running at 2 FPS. Didn't look anything like this, tho. We didn't have such extravagant lighting where I lived.

Barry... While in Las Vegas at NAB I saw what looked like a news car with an industrial video camera attached to the hood with a suction-cup setup, pulling a u-turn near the Stardust. That would have been useful for this task.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:28 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Ahonen
At lower framerates more light hits the chip for every frame, so the noise can average out much more.
I understand that :) even running slower shutters on the DVX100 makes a huge difference to noise.. as for the HVX, someone else posted a night shoot out on the town which was only @24fps that too was remarkably clean
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Inspiring stuff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
2,3,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,23,24,26,27,28,30, 32,34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48,50,52,54,56,58, and 60 frames per second.
Thanks Barry! That was way cool and it's exciting to see even more possibilities! Makes me want to go shoot!

By the way, I was going to print all of that out but I figured it'll all be in the book, right? ;o)
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #26
Rextilleon

Nice driving Barry---you appear to have the skills of a NYC Cab driver!
Red #97
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:18 AM   #27

Im speachless... I like it.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #28
Major Player

Barry:
Thanks for uncovering (and publicizing) one of the features we've all been lusting after!!!
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #29
Regular Crew

May be the question has no sense...but. Is there anyway for to shot at 80 or 100 fps....a firmgrade upgrade by example? or there is a hardware limitation for that....Just to ask....and lookin' for an extreme slomo....One more: What is the best way for to get a god B&W?....In post? or directly from the camera? Any tips about?

Thanks

F
Federico Prieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #30
Barry Wan Kenobi

60fps is the maximum rate.

As for black & white, you can't get b&w in-camera, you'd have to do that effect in post.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders