Bars and Tone on P2 cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old May 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Bars and Tone on P2 cards?

Do you need to put Bars and Tone on each P2 card after each time it has been formated if you are going to continue to reuse that card several times during the day?

Or would you only have to do it once, for a day of shooting, if no settings are changed in the camera?

It seams like a silly question, but I have not thought of it before, nore can I recall reading about it.

Charlie
Charles Hohenshilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Theoretically every clip of B&T you lay down will be identical, since there are no analog settings on the camera that would affect the B&T, and no tape variability. Even if you change scene settings, your B&T will remain unaffected.

If you're outputting P2 to tape, pre-edit (for example, I have one client that I shoot P2 DVCPro50 for, then go component out to DBeta and build source reels for him...no hard drive archiving at all) it might be worth throwing B&T on the transfer tape at the beginning of each day's shoot, but certainly no more than that. It'd just help the editor set up the playback machine. (But in my experience with a wide range of digital tape formats, the B&T usually comes off the tape exactly where it's supposed to be if the playback deck is at unity. I only give a cursory glance at the scopes on digital tapes in edit, they're so predictable.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders