DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   FCP5 renders and other mac-related question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/68533-fcp5-renders-other-mac-related-question.html)

Scott Auerbach May 31st, 2006 08:27 AM

FCP5 renders and other mac-related question

Hi all- sorry for posting a question that's almost certainly answered elsewhere, but it's not turning up in my searches and a review of fairly recent posts...

Two issues:
Now that I've finally gotten the hang of the camera, I've JUST started playing around with bringing footage into FCP5 on a MacBook Pro. I've always been an Avid guy, so everything about FCP is new to me... mostly I'm relying on what I've learned here, online help text, and Weynand's book Final Cut for Avid Editors.

I've had no problem importing footage either directly from the camera, or from files copied to the desktop. But everything I import shows up on the timeline as needing to be rendered. This doesn't seem right...what am I missing?

Second question: I played around a little with the P2 Viewer program on our XP-based Adrenaline. That's a very handy little utility. Is there currently anything comparable for OS X*, or do you need to import everything into FCP just to view it?
*I've been following the posts about HD Log, but I assume it's still not on the market....

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom...

Robert Lane May 31st, 2006 08:42 AM

Scott,

If your imported footage needs to be rendered then the sequence presets don't match the footage type. Go into your setups and make sure the sequence preset matches the mode you shot in. If you're not sure what's being imported, look in the browser window of FCP, it tells you everything about the clip and it's status.

HD Log is out for OSX however to get it's full P2 functionality you have to buy the $700 version. Not exactly cost effective since FCP already has those functions.

If you really want to get familiar with FCP fast and learn how to optimize your system read these books all from the Apple Pro Training Series:

- FCP 5
- Optimizing you FCP System
- Advanced Editing and Finishing Techniques in FCP 5
- Advanced Color Correction and Effects in FCP 5

David Saraceno May 31st, 2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
Not exactly cost effective since FCP already has those functions.

My understanding is that HD Log allows you to preview the clips before importing, set in and out points, and just export those clips and portions of them before launching FCP.

That besides its other capabilities.

Robert Lane May 31st, 2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno
My understanding is that HD Log allows you to preview the clips before importing, set in and out points, and just export those clips and portions of them before launching FCP.

That besides its other capabilities.

Here's how HD Log pricing breaks down for capabilities:

- Bronze @ $299 let's you view P2 clips and export shot lists, not clips
- Silver @ $499 let's you export P2 clips but not with a QT wrapper/conversion
- Gold @ $699 does everything else.

HD Log obviously handles more than just P2 media, but since most of us would really like the Mac-ability to do "basic" view, mark and convert to QT outside and independent of FCP without spending tons of dough I personally, can't justify the full version at $700.

There are 2 other companies currently writing code (who don't want to be named) for just this basic functionality. It's unclear when it will be available but the pricing will be more in line with my suggested pricing for the wish-list of functions.

Scott Auerbach May 31st, 2006 04:33 PM

Thanks.
As for the preset versus footage issue, I checked that, but obviously I missed something. I'll go back and take another lookie. The Optimizing book just arrived an hour ago.