P2-Final Cut Compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old June 14th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #1
New Boot

P2-Final Cut Compatability

Hello,

I'm shooting a short film in August and will be using the HVX200, but I've run into a problem. My editor owns Final Cut 4.5, and, according to another source the P2 data isn't compatible with that software. I'm curious to know what the compatability issue is, and what I can do about it. Thanks.
Micah Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Major Player

The compatibility issue is that the HVX camera was introduced two years after FCP 4.5 was released...therefore that version of FCP doesn't support that camera.

You need FCP version 5.0.4 or later, and Quicktime version 7.0.3 or later in order to import and work with footage from this camera. Now is a good time to update to 5.1, as the cost is VERY cheap. Like $200 for current FCP 4.5 users.

See my P2 tutorial at http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...low/index.html
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

You can sort of have limited compatibility with 4.5. What you'd have to do is play the footage from the camera and capture via the firewire port.

However, it would be far easier to just upgrade to 5.1...
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2006, 01:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, I 2nd Barry on that. Running 5.1.1 here with no issues.
I would upgrade NOW and test workflow before shooting.
What mode are you planning on shooting in?
It seems most filmakers are going 1080 24pA......
Old June 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst
Yes, I 2nd Barry on that. Running 5.1.1 here with no issues.
I would upgrade NOW and test workflow before shooting.
What mode are you planning on shooting in?
It seems most filmakers are going 1080 24pA......
720p 24/60fps.

Another question. Is there any way of dumping the footage to an external w/ laptop without the compatible editing software. If I had access to a Final Cut 5.1.1 system get the footage from the external drive, use 5.1.1 to create compatible movie files, then throw them back onto the drive(s) and hand the drive(s) to my editor? Uhhh....nothing's simple. Thx everyone.
Micah Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Brooke
Is there any way of dumping the footage to an external w/ laptop without the compatible editing software. If I had access to a Final Cut 5.1.1 system get the footage from the external drive, use 5.1.1 to create compatible movie files, then throw them back onto the drive(s) and hand the drive(s) to my editor? Uhhh....nothing's simple. Thx everyone.
YOu don't need a computer with editing software to copy the footage off the P2 cards. All you need is a PC or Mac laptop with a PCMCIA slot and the P2 driver software. You copy all the footage (every folder, every clip) onto an external drive. This is in essense your master tape. This drive, or several drives will be used for archiving. When you get back to the office or the post facility, you then use FCP to import (add the quicktime wrapper to) the footage onto Media drives for editing. Then you put the drives with the master MXF files onto a shelf, or back up onto another medium (DVD, Blue-Ray).
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #7
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Brooke
[...] Is there any way of dumping the footage to an external w/ laptop without the compatible editing software [...]
In addition to dumping files to a laptop (as Shane Ross writes, there is no need to have editing software on the laptop to do this), however, you might want to view, log, and edit metadata on the set. For that you can use the new P2 Log application for Macintosh which was introduced today. See this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69838

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders