Any news on a Express Card 34 to PCMCIA adapter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old October 15th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #16
Regular Crew

There it is... a express to pcmcia adapter!!!

http://sewelldirect.com/Express-Card...IA-Adapter.asp
Federico Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #17
Trustee

how is this?

http://www.lycom.com.tw/
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #18
Major Player

The sewell direct one appears to be the duel systems adapter.

And the lycom.com one seems to be the one that Addonics engineered.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Soooo?

Has anyone actually used one of these adapters yet and had success? I just went to the Apple store with P2 card in hand and found out about the change since the card won't fit! I am now postponing my decision until I know for a certain someone out there can say they dump their P2 data with one of these without any problems. Otherwise it's is PC for location work, Mac for in house.

Jim
Jim Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #20
New Boot

I bought the Duel Adapter and have not been able to get my Macintel to read the card. The laptop knows that I have the adapter plugged in but it will not read or mount. I am using 8G P2 Cards and have updated to the latest Duel software. I am stuck using either the camera or P2 store to transfer files. I would be curious to know if anyone has had success with the Duel Adapter on the Macintel.
#1 in the hood, G.
Matt Maiellaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #21
Tourist

Duel Systems Duel Adapter

We've been using the Duel Systems adapter with a Macbook Pro since it came out nearly a year ago. Works great. Just make sure you've got the latest driver from Duel (1.04 at this point) and the latest P2 driver from Panasonic. Both are available on Duel's website, and of course the P2 driver is on Panasonic's site as well.
Kevin Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Regular Crew

No problem with ours on MBP. Also confirm the A/B switch is correct.
Bob Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #23
Major Player

Works in Leopard and worked in 10.4.10 and 10.4.11
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #24
Trustee

Duel adapter is working with my MBP, too.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Now I can go spend ANOTHER $3K heh heh!

Jim
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #26
Major Player

Buyer Beware!

Be careful, I tried a setup from Syncrotech with no luck.

First I bought the Duel Adapter.
Then I bought the PCI Express to ExpressCard Reader for our Mac Pro.

It doesn't work. The Duel Adapter works with the MacBook Pro but not in conjunction with the PCI Express Reader.

I called Syncrotech, they said it initially worked on older versions of OSX but since recent updates this combo doesn't work. They also said it costs too much for R&D to get something developed. "The P2 Market is too small to justify the need and PCIe is the most costly R&D format," He said.

Hope this prevents someone from trying the combination. Thankfully Syncrotech will return the incompatible unit.

-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #27
Major Player

There are a number of companies that make PCI cards for the Mac G5s, but none for MacPros.

Syncrotech aside, it's an issue of drivers.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
There are a number of companies that make PCI cards for the Mac G5s, but none for MacPros.
Syncrotech aside, it's an issue of drivers.
Hello David
How about connecting a ---
http://www.amtron.com/reader/pcdtp110cs.htm
Just the "card reader component" via the ATA cable of the Mac,s Optical drive in the Macpro or a G5 ??.
It may work ?, who's game to try it. The card reader is just an ATA connected device, the same as the mac's DVD/CD Burner. can someone with the Amtron reader get a test done.?
love to try it myself If Amtron were available here, downunder.
cheers
Tom K
Tom Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:21 AM   #29
Regular Crew

My happy Duel Adapter experience:

Got the new MacBook and the Duel Adapter. Both arrived the same day. Although the Duel packaging says OS X v10.4 or above, the included CD won't install unless it is v10.4.8. My new Mac's OS being 10.4.11 I had to go to the Duel website. (So my new Mac Pro Tower came with Leopard, but my MacBook doesn't??)

I followed the install instructions to the letter but the Adapter icon did not appear on my desktop as the instructions claimed. But following their trouble shooting PDF on their site I was able to see that my Mac did indeed see it, just didn't display it.

I then installed the Mac Panasonic driver (also on the Duel web site). I think I should have installed this first (not that I had instructions to do so, I was on my own here) because the Mac didn't see the P2 card when I inserted it. So I reinstalled the Duel adapter again after the Panny install. I rebooted and although there was still no adapter icon when I plugged the Duel in, the P2 icon popped up as soon as I plugged in the P2 card into the reader.

I was able to transfer a full 16gig card of multiple 720p footage (about 17 minutes) in about 9 minutes. I was not using FCP to capture, I was just copying to a folder like I plan to do in the field.

So all in all I am happy. I confess I was panicking a smidgen when it wasn't working as the instructions claimed, because I literally got the $2500 Mac for that $100 adapter. I will be shooting in Europe on exterior shoots and will need to dump P2s all day long using the MacBook and an external hard drive.

Hope this aids anyone in their consideration of using the Duel.

Jim
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM   #30
Major Player

The issue is drivers.

It always has been.

But if you give it a try, please report back
David Saraceno is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders