How long until a 32 Gig P2 card? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Why would you say that?
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Boyce
Why would you say that?
I had written: "My quip for the day: If you need a 32GB P2 card, you bought the wrong camera for your application."

First off, I don't currently own an HVX, but would like to. I like the P2 workflow, and I believe that it would be great for my application, which centers on short, pre-planned shots. Lighter compression, intra-frame coding and variable frame rates including 24p appeal to me.

However, If I were doing long, unplanned shots, I would look at an HDV solution. You don't want to miss "the big moment" while swapping cards. The lack of an HD tape solution and the small size of the current P2 cards hobbles the camera for long takes in the field.

Sure, you can record to a FireStore, but that doesn't allow variable frame rates and adds extra size and weight. When the CinePorter is available, longer recording times with variable rates are possible, but again with size, weight and battery penalties.

Once 32GB P2 cards are available, the HVX will be excellent for longer, unplanned takes - though the workflow advantage is a bit lost on me. I like the idea of recording my takes, and quickly reviewing the results with quick edits as insurance before tearing down the set and lights. For long take applications, the quick review with edits thing isn't as critical.

But all this is moot for me. My application is really well suited to the HVX. It's at or near the top of my list for my next camera purchase - but only because it matches my applicaiton so well.
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #33
Regular Crew

8GB SD card Released

Fremont, California, August 31st, 2006 Pretec, the world record keeper of highest capacity flash memory cards of CF card (12GB, March 2004), USB Flash Drive (8GB, January 2005), SD card (4GB, July 2005) and MMC (4GB, September 2005), has now released 8GB SD card, the highest capacity SD card in the world.

Sounds like those 32gig cards are right around the corner...
Brian Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sargent
Fremont, California, August 31st, 2006 Pretec, the world record keeper of highest capacity flash memory cards of CF card (12GB, March 2004), USB Flash Drive (8GB, January 2005), SD card (4GB, July 2005) and MMC (4GB, September 2005), has now released 8GB SD card, the highest capacity SD card in the world.

Sounds like those 32gig cards are right around the corner...
I hope it's true, but I just spoke with a Panasonic salesman and he said the 16 gig cards that were due at the end of this year have now been pushed back to 2nd quarter 2007. Ugh. I hope he's wrong.
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #35
Inner Circle

>The bigger part of the problem, is that they cant even keep up with demand >for 8gb P2 cards at an INSANE price. Why would they even bother to >release a 16gb card when all it would do is kill the market for a card they >cant keep in stock?

Because it reduces the market for their camcorder. I am looking for an HDV camcorder to replace my Sony VX2000. P2 store is clearly on the CON list, both in price and recording duration. I can't believe that Panasonic decided the money was in selling commodity flash cards in a proprietary package. The P2 Store is ridiculous as well.

P2 storages definitely makes me look elsewhere. I can't believe that Panasonic couldn't sell a USB or Firewire battery-backed hard drive unit in which you can add your own hard drive or two, if the bandwidth is needed.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Sorry about my last post. I'm sure Panasonic has found some reliability issues with external Firewire drives. Though, it would have been cool to have cheaper storage media that isn't controlled and priced by Panasonic.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders