DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX Data Storage/Working Files options (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/71405-hvx-data-storage-working-files-options.html)

Robert Lane July 13th, 2006 10:38 AM

HVX Data Storage/Working Files options

For those of us who have been lamenting the HVX original clip storage issue I have a solution that I've been testing that I can now recommend:

ProAvio makes a dual-drive FW800 enclosure that is extremely well built and thought out. Unlike the competitors offerings, it has (2) internal fans, one in front and one in the rear of the case which keep the drives very cool. The form factor is smaller than most others and, the throughput is the maximum the Oxford 912 chipset can provide.

Called the dvBox, it comes in 2 flavors: either pre-configured with drives installed or as in the case of my unit, it comes bare and you install your own drives. Currently it only accepts IDE-type, not SATA drives.

The case allows for either hardware RAID-0 configuration or JBOD via internal jumper settings. I have (2) Seagate 7200.10 Barracuda 500GB drives that have been running for more than 72 hours straight moving a 250GB test file in and out repeatedly with no errors.

I am using the dvBox to store original, unedited HVX clips and a full project copy. Now being used for it's original purpose, I only power up the drive when it's time to copy more P2 clips or, to delete and re-copy a new full project (using FC media manager).

Also, for those wanting a low-cost fast RAID array I've also been testing the DatOptic S-Box P, a 5-drive SATA Port Multiplier enclosure. I have (3) of these boxes and so far are also running stable and cool. Out of all the external SATA enclosures I've tested, these are very, very quiet. With all 3 running at the same time they are no louder than the Quad G5 they're next to. I have (15) WD5000YS drives installed and am using them for Final Cut, DVD SP4, Photoshop CS2, HVX clip copies (from the dvBox) and AE 7.0 file storage, render, capture and cache files. The controller card is the Sonnet E4P.

Disk Warrior, iDefrag and Speed Tools can see and work on both enclosures mentioned above. Tech Tool Pro 4 cannot work on arrays of any kind (per their own documentation) so it was not used for testing.

If I have anything significant to add other than the above, I will.

Cees Mutsaers July 22nd, 2006 02:43 AM

Do you have a link to the ProAvio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
For those of us who have been lamenting the HVX original clip storage issue I have a solution that I've been testing that I can now recommend:

ProAvio makes a dual-drive FW800 enclosure that is extremely well built and thought out. Unlike the competitors offerings, it has (2) internal fans, one in front and one in the rear of the case which keep the drives very cool. The form factor is smaller than most others and, the throughput is the maximum the Oxford 912 chipset can provide.

Called the dvBox, it comes in 2 flavors: either pre-configured with drives installed or as in the case of my unit, it comes bare and you install your own drives. Currently it only accepts IDE-type, not SATA drives.

The case allows for either hardware RAID-0 configuration or JBOD via internal jumper settings. I have (2) Seagate 7200.10 Barracuda 500GB drives that have been running for more than 72 hours straight moving a 250GB test file in and out repeatedly with no errors.

I am using the dvBox to store original, unedited HVX clips and a full project copy. Now being used for it's original purpose, I only power up the drive when it's time to copy more P2 clips or, to delete and re-copy a new full project (using FC media manager).

Also, for those wanting a low-cost fast RAID array I've also been testing the DatOptic S-Box P, a 5-drive SATA Port Multiplier enclosure. I have (3) of these boxes and so far are also running stable and cool. Out of all the external SATA enclosures I've tested, these are very, very quiet. With all 3 running at the same time they are no louder than the Quad G5 they're next to. I have (15) WD5000YS drives installed and am using them for Final Cut, DVD SP4, Photoshop CS2, HVX clip copies (from the dvBox) and AE 7.0 file storage, render, capture and cache files. The controller card is the Sonnet E4P.

Disk Warrior, iDefrag and Speed Tools can see and work on both enclosures mentioned above. Tech Tool Pro 4 cannot work on arrays of any kind (per their own documentation) so it was not used for testing.

If I have anything significant to add other than the above, I will.

Jon Fairhurst July 22nd, 2006 05:16 PM

http://proavio.com/dv2.html