HVX montage- machines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX montage- machines

Greetings,

Just posting a clip from a little video I shot at my dad's factory in NH. 5 minutes long.... Converted to Black and White with some diffusion and CC. A little impromptu shoot and edit. Feedback and comments are welcome.

I just love the B and W option with the camera. Looks glossy and low-noise. Please download (save as to HD)

Thanks all!

http://www.electriccowtheater.com/video/Factory.mov
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I liked it. Music was great. Did you do the music also ? Do you have other music like that ? How did you do the B&W ?

It would have been fun to integrate some of the HVX slo mo action, ala 'Koyaanisqatsi' with that score. . . .. . ..
Vince Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting how cool a factory can look from certain perspectives. Great job!!
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Major Player

I like this a lot. I like the shot selection, the editing and the pacing. My only suggestion is I would have shot this on a tripod and a really good fluid head. This would have given the montage a "crisper" feel. Your handheld is actually very good and I commend you for that, but my personal preference is for most shots to be a tripod even though it is a pain to setup. I prefer handheld only for "reality" type situations.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Tim, you are exactly right about the tripod. I would have shot with mine on this but I didn't have it with me on the vacation. I have a big set of stick and it usually costs me to travel with it so I left it home. I do want to do another shoot at the factory this year.. with a tripod and hopefully a 35mm adapter and my light kit. I'd also like to bring up my jib and steadicam as well. I want to shoot another art piece there.. as well as a fight scene for a movie I'm doing. Ther'es a lot of stuff that I didn't get to show on the 2nd level of the machines and on top and I'd get to this with more time and my jib. It's good also that I can get in there since it's my dad's place. So, yep Tripod is definitely needed next time.

Vince, This isn't music that I made but it's something similar to what I wanted. I do make some ambient types of stuff myself but in this case I wanted something done and complete. It would take me all day to come up with a track for something like this... so I took the easy way out. Also, as war as the B&W, this is a tint filter in FCP. I also added some diffusion and bumped up the glow a bit. It looks stunning on an HD monitor.. and the B&W conversion really covers up any noise.. but on this there really wasn't much. I make sure to set the detail coring at the highest setting... and bump up the black pedestal as well. I also choise the darker... less noisy chroma setting.

Thanks again all. Love the constructive feedback. I will post something else this week which is totally different from this. I'm having fun shooting again. Makes it feel more like I'm shooting film and I get the "WOW" feeling every once in a while... hard to get that with DV anymore.
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders