DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   HVX with interchangeable lenses coming in '07? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/71834-hvx-interchangeable-lenses-coming-07-a.html)

Peter Richardson July 19th, 2006 03:55 PM

HVX with interchangeable lenses coming in '07?

Recently worked on a shoot in LA where the DP was insistent that Panasonic had one planned for '07 (according to reputable sources, apparently). Anyone else heard this?

Peter

Zack Birlew July 19th, 2006 10:28 PM

I think what you're talking about is the P2-version of the HDX900, or some camera like that model, which has been mentioned as a future release sometime around next year.

Chris Hurd July 19th, 2006 10:30 PM

Jack is right -- Panasonic showed a DVCPRO HD P2 camera at NAB based on the SDX900.

Peter Richardson July 19th, 2006 11:10 PM

Yes, this is what I thought as well. Mentioned this to the DP but he seemed to think it was the HVX form factor. Oh well, just a rumor (though I imagine this thread will get a few views).

Peter

Scott Webster July 20th, 2006 01:55 AM

Considering both 1/2" and 1/3" HD lenses have been developed now for the XDHD and the JVC line of cameras, the glass options are there for a shoulder mounted HVX.

I guess it would depend on how hard Panasonic think it would hit their Varicam market or whether the camera would offer a compelling alternative to the 330/350 or 110/250.

A shoulder mounted HVX, with interchangeable lenses, even 1/3" will suffice, with HD-SDI out, 4x p2 slot for the 16GB cards....Sounds good to me.

Dan Brockett July 20th, 2006 08:10 AM

Sounds like....

Hi all:

Sounds pretty much like the upcoming HDX-900 except that the 900 is a tape-based camera. I can't think of a compelling reason for Panasonic to release a camera between the HVX-200 and the HDX-900 unless they are trying to hit the $10,000.00 to $20,000.00 price point with P2 capability. I guess it's possible but sounds as if they introduced this new camera, not many would buy the HDX-900.

Who knows? Maybe it will happen?

Dan

Barry Green July 20th, 2006 09:04 AM

They've already announced the HPC-2000, which is a 2/3" shoulder-mount model with P2 slots.

Robert Lane July 21st, 2006 08:20 AM

With all the work I've been doing lately I haven't had time to catch up on the rumor mill, but an upgrade path from the HVX looks imminent now!

Can't wait 'til November...

Jaser Stockert July 21st, 2006 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane
With all the work I've been doing lately I haven't had time to catch up on the rumor mill, but an upgrade path from the HVX looks imminent now!

Can't wait 'til November...

why do you say that? just curious...thanks...=)

Robert Lane July 23rd, 2006 01:03 PM

Jaser,

Because I'd love to have a body that is HVX-like but has interchangeable lenses, mainly for better mating to 35mm lens adapters. However, I would sorely miss AUTO-focus since that adds capabilities that no ENG-type body can match.

The other thing that would be a critical feature match would be the Vari-cam options. If the HPC2000 doesn't have that then I wouldn't get one. So far, it looks like the HPC is supposed to have an ENG mission which doesn't require variable frame rates. So, as more news comes out I'll figure out whether or not we're on an upgrade path or not - but I'm hopeful.

Robert Lane July 29th, 2006 12:11 PM

This thread really got me thinking about future HD camera options:

First, I'm guessing the HVX will have it's revisions just like the DVX100 did (original, A and B versions). When or if that happens those newer versions will obviously make the camera better (cleaner images, more Vari-frame options etc).

What I've been daydreaming about ever since we shot our British Airways spot was an HVX-feature type camera with removable lenses. However, if the HPC2000 doesn't have a Vari-cam mode then it wouldn't be worth the $27k it's going to list for - not for me anyway. But then again, 24p, tapeless, 4:2:2 color with lens choices...hmm.

What's interesting about the HPC2000 is that when compared to it's nearest cousin the HDX900, the HPC does give more flexibility. The HDX900 can only record 33 minutes - to tape, mind you - while our venerable HVX currently gives us 41 mintues on (2) 8GB cards. Neither the HPC nor HDX do variable frame rates, so right now the HVX is the ONLY camera that can do what it does on P2 media.

The HPC is also going to use the H.264 codec which allows for full DVCPRO-HD bandwidth compressed but without the lossy long-GOP mpeg-2 that XDCAM is using. BTW: Did you know that the so-called HD-XDCAM is really shooting HDV, not HD-CAM? Yep, 4:2:0 color space, from a $16-27k body. Nonsense.