Butterflies and kids in slow mo... ooh NO! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Butterflies and kids in slow mo... ooh NO!

Greetings all,

Put together a little video with some butterflies in slow-mo. Shot in 720 with mostly a high shutter. Shot handheld at a butterfly pavillion in NH. Took the kids and was a lot of fun. Please download...

www.electriccowtheater.com/video/Butterfly.mov

Any and all feedback appreciated
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Capt. Quirk

It looks really nice to me. Nice focus and DOF. I could see in a few shots, you were having trouble keeping up with the little buggers... they are a lot faster than they look, aren't they? I'm working on trying to track and frame birds, but they won't cooperate with me either. I was even tempted to try and shoot some Dragonflies, but quickly shrugged that off.
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Nice work mate... :)

I just checked your other vidoes...

http://www.electriccowtheater.com/video/Jeffco.mov

WOW makes me really wanna get the HVX beautiful vids... for your slow motion did you use any software to control the look or it's all the HVX? Becuase i knwo sometimes when you do a slow mo on some cames it kills the quality but i guess with HD, there is a better control over the images on slow ? is that right?

Joey Dee
Old July 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks all. A friend, surjones, did that one video there... which is great looking stuff.

Yes, these butterflies are hard to keep up with in the open air. Mostly because they don't fly in a straight light. Not that they are so fast.. but highly eratic and hard to predict. Kind of like women.. lol. JK.

The slow-mo is all pretty much HVX doing what it does so friggin well. Didn't do any adjustments in FCP. I think it was all pretty much shot at either 36fps or 48fps. I do like the 60fps, but it's almost too slow for my tastes. Best for explosions and really impactful shots. I just think the slow-mo really helps to smooth everything out.. so I've been converted to the process. Sometimes, I have shot in the 60p mode so that I can convert some to slow-mo and then keep some in normal speed. That's quite an awesome option. Takes up a lot of space on the cards, but kind of gives you the most options.. as well as recording the audio.

Thanks all.. and I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

What shutter did you use for the butterflies? Is it 720P/60? Really looked good. The music was surprisingly refreshing and seemed to fit well. Especially since I just watched a clip of balloons and fireworks that featured Ramstein. LOL

This is the kind of quality in picture and color that made me get the HVX.
Dee Joslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks. I did some stuff at 1/30, then most of it at either 1/250 or 1/500th. Wasn't enough light for 1/1000. I love the fast shutter in combination with the slow-mo. I think most of it was at 36fps or 48.

I did just do a version with some color correction. Crushed the blacks and bumped up the color. A personal preference with the HVX. I think it really helps with the grads and more subltle colors/shadows.

Thanks and here it is.. The old file is still up so feel free to compare

http://www.electriccowtheater.com/video/ButterflyCC.mov
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Major Player

@ Justyn...

I agree with Joey - Nice work! Where was this one shot at? I didn't think you were in the area, but I swear that's JeffCo airport near Broomfield, CO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Dee
Nice work mate... :)

I just checked your other vidoes...

http://www.electriccowtheater.com/video/Jeffco.mov
Jeff Kilgroe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders