DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   just a quickie... image flip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/72240-just-quickie-image-flip.html)

Peter Jefferson July 25th, 2006 07:59 AM

just a quickie... image flip

does the HVX have an image flip function for use with adapters.. or does the bugger leave us upside down?

Barry Green July 25th, 2006 08:51 AM

No camera on the market (in this price range) has an image flip feature.

Peter Jefferson July 25th, 2006 09:16 AM

thanks for that info.. maybe in a firmware update they may be able to implement it...

Bill Pryor July 25th, 2006 11:07 AM

I think the Canon XL HD camera does the image flip in the viewfinder, doesn't it? I've read about putting a magnet on the viewfinder to do that. Some say it works, but I'm wondering if it permanently flips your viewfinder, or does it revert to normal when you remove the magnet?

Sam Jankis July 25th, 2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
thanks for that info.. maybe in a firmware update they may be able to implement it...

I was wondering/hoping that a future firmware update could add this feature. Of course, I'm not an engineer... so I have no idea if this is even feasible.

Barry Green July 25th, 2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
I think the Canon XL HD camera does the image flip in the viewfinder, doesn't it? I've read about putting a magnet on the viewfinder to do that. Some say it works, but I'm wondering if it permanently flips your viewfinder, or does it revert to normal when you remove the magnet?

It has an image flip function, but it doesn't work if the stock lens is attached. You'd have to remove the lens and attach some other type of adapter (like maybe a B4 adapter or something) before the flip function is made available.

Bill Pryor July 25th, 2006 01:17 PM

Interesting...there's a lot of misleading information out there. My impression from reading was that the flip would work with something like the Redrock adapter, but it requires that the lens be left on, so if the lens is left on, then the flip wouldn't work. Sheesh.

Barry Green July 25th, 2006 05:52 PM

Exactly. We initially thought "finally!" when it was first announced, but no, it specifically won't work with the M2 because the M2 requires the stock lens to be in place.

Close, but no actual cigar.

Scott Auerbach August 1st, 2006 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
does the HVX have an image flip function for use with adapters.. or does the bugger leave us upside down?

There is a somewhat scary hack of the HVX flip-out screen hinge posted on Redrock micro's user forum that turns on the little pin that flips the image when you flip the screen. It involves opening up the screen hinge, though, and ramming something in there. Not for the faint of heart.