Is this camera effective? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old July 28th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Great ideas here with all of this. Personally the HVX gets a lot of good looks and a lot of attention. People calling it pro.. more so than I got with my XL1 even back then. The Matte box and rods and all that are a nice touch.

The other MAJOR thing that I would recommend would be a nice HD monitor. Tha'ts how I justified the small form factor by just point at the image it produces and say.. look at that. The LCD just doesn't do the footage justice at ALL... A good image that a client can see ifs a big one..

As far as also having a pelican case.. that does bolster the ego and looks all pro.. But so darn not functional. WHen I had my HVX in one... one that I still own and don't use much except if it gets shipped... well it just stayed in that. Keeping it in the pelican case keeps it all wrapped up and becomes a chore to carry and lug around. Now my backpack.. that's an easy load and comfortable.. and it also doesn't SCREAM expensive gear inside like a pelican case does.. or even a portabrace case does, for that matter. Go for functionality, and a backpack is awesome and the cam comes with me a lot. In a pelican.. I'd be knocking people flying ..
Justyn Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM   #17
Trustee

My work speaks for itself and I always BUDGET a camera even if I own it. Even if I am doing a $20K commercial, there will be a line for a camera ($200 per day for XL2 kit, $500 for HVX kit, $1000 for Vari Kit, etc.) This ends all confusion as I give the client OPTIONS for what camera they want. If you have to screw on a matte box to stay out of trouble you have not managed the clients expectations properly and this is THE biggest mistake I see from freelancers and small production houses.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Good point Ash!
I simply would do both: accurate info for the client on what to expect for the pricetag AND some pimping.
Especially with smaller projects: the client won´t know the difference between DV and DigiBeta, but he will feel more secure if he sees a "big" camera , sth he doesn´t see at RadioShack.
Hehehe - I guess its the old Siegmund Freud thing, big camera, big ...
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM   #19
Wrangler

I still shoot some live events on my old XL1's when I don't need HD. Other events I shoot on the HVX200 with a matte box. I get about 5x as many requests for business cards when using the XL1.

Take that for what it is worth.
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #20
New Boot

quite a range of answers here. Let me throw this question out there as well....

Again, keeping in mind that I am "interested" in buying one of these, I am hoping that I can rent the camera out to help subsidize the cost.

What is a typical day rate for these cameras?

I noticed a "brand new and upcoming" rental house here in Vancouver renting it out for $250.00 and that sort of ticked me off.

Your thoughts?
Corey Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #21
Contributor

I'd say $250 is a little high, but they can get that now because it's pretty new.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #22
Trustee

$250 with no P2 cards is pretty standard... remember the rental places charge you for everything...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Mattebox Bling

Just to add to this bling bling thing, 16x9 is selling a nice little cover for the front of your mattebox. A little extra protection, nice little bling. Don't know if it only fits on the Chrosziel or if it fits on others.
Gary L Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #24
New Boot

HVX Rental

The prevailing rate here for an HVX with four 4GB P2 cards is $300+ a day.
Hope that helps.
Erik Vilinskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Professional Video and Tape in Portland quoted me $300/day for the HVX alone. $450 with the kit, including P2 cards and P2 store.

Ouch!
Old August 8th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst
Professional Video and Tape in Portland quoted me $300/day for the HVX alone. $450 with the kit, including P2 cards and P2 store.

Ouch!

I assume that means no sticks or heads?
Gary L Childress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L Childress
I assume that means no sticks or heads?
Probably not. As they say, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it." After hearing $450 a day, I stopped asking questions...
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #28
Contributor

That's way overpriced for that camera--probably because it's still new and fairly rare. The rates will come down and be in line with everything else in a few months, I bet.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders