HVX200 or Super 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HVX200 or Super 16

I'm just curious, how would this camera compare to the quality achieved with shooting super 16? This question is mainly for people who own this camera, would you choose it over film? I know the gap is closing fast.
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Given the budget I'd choose film over this camera any day of the week. Film looks so much better. I'd even choose film over the Varicam if cost wasn't the factor. The only reason I'd shoot with the HVX over film or even the Varicam are a) you have a limited budget and b) you need to shoot 'discreetly."

The HVX has trouble in low light. It just doesn't have the latitude that film does. Not even close. The Varicam does a lot better in low light. But you want to compare the HVX to film.

The workflow for film is just very expensive. You get GREAT imagry, but at a cost. Processing, telecine, dubs...all add up. With the HVX you can review footage right away, toss what you don't want...know that you have the shot (instead of relying on a video tap for playback) and can begin editing right away. And the cost is minimal (beside the cost of the camera and cards). Hard drives for archiving are darn cheap.

SO really, the best look can be achieved with film, but the HVX is for those with a budget.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

I agree with Shane 100%: Film is king - and will be for many years to come - for the best possible color and "look". No digi-cam whether it's the HVX, Cinealta or Varicam can compete with film.

If you're really, really good with lighting, composition and camera setups you can get a very "film-like" appearance from the HVX, but in no way can it be considered a film replacement. It's not even a contender.

If you have the budget and skills to shoot film, do it. If not, learn the HVX and see what it can do for you.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Major Player

FILM, baby! FILM!

Being a film guy, I want all my video to look like film.

If there's any way to swing it, shoot S16. As mentioned, the cost is much greater, but if you know what you want, it will be worth the extra expense.
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Based on some tests I had seen, the quality was comparable, especially in terms of resolution, colour and grain/noise. But, having worked with both 16mm film and HD digital video (JVC HD100), I personally choose digital. (In fact, I have a Bolex SBM I'm planning on selling now.)

I will admit 100% that film still has some advantages, particularly regarding latitude, but the advantages of working digitally outweigh those of film, IMHO.
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Apples and Oranges... you should be asking Super16mm or Varicam/F950. The cheapest post workflow will be the Varicam and what I would recommend.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

IMHO, the HVX's footage can look extremely close to Super16mm. extremely close if you shoot 1080p.

I prefer F900 and Varicam footage over S16, no doubt in my mind.

...and it costs A TON less...
...and it is 500% easier too shoot...
Antoine Fabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine Fabi
...and it is 500% easier too shoot...
For me it's pretty much the opposite ... lol
Rodrigo Otaviano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Tourist

check out this thread at DVXuser. I think it is now so comparable that you'd be wasting time and money to get any marginal advantages from 16mm film:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...ight=16mm+test
Brad Baxter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders