DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   My first HVX music video! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/73502-my-first-hvx-music-video.html)

Jeff Ray August 12th, 2006 06:59 PM

My first HVX music video!

Hey guys,

This is the first music video I've done with the HVX and I have to say it was a pleasant experience. I had never touched the camera until the day before the shoot, so I'm still learning how to control the beast of a machine, but all in all I think the video turned out pretty good.

Shot over the course of two (very long) days. We used a total of 24 actors (some of which didn't make the final cut due to time restrictions in the song) and the crew consisted of myself and my brother (who is also my producer).

I'm also still learning how to export HD footage to the net and retain it's quality, so right now the link to the video is a hefty download (110mb), so proceed with caution!

The link: www.suitedproductions.com/waybackdown.mov

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks again.

Dee Joslin August 12th, 2006 07:26 PM

Overall, I really liked the video. The music was good. Transitions didn't always seem to be timed but that may be how you intended it to be. and that was only in a couple of spots. But, I liked the presetation. I think the HVX performed well like the scene with the girl on the swing when the camera came in towards her looking at the dog leash. The detail on her dress was quite good, and the skin tone on her face was really good. Another scene was the older guy sitting by the fireplace. The shot was good and the detail was great.

I liked it. What can I say...good stuff. I'd like to know what your settings were.

Nate Weaver August 12th, 2006 08:57 PM

Very good color work.

I think the performance could have been a little more exciting to look at...slo mo is very cool and all but in my mind it's something you do to create mood. I didn't feel like they were rocking so hard.

Overall though, looks great. It's obvious you've done a few before, here's to making the next one even better.

Abdulla Bastaki August 13th, 2006 11:06 AM

Amazing work, i really enjoyed it, very professional.

how much light did you use and what kinda light, say.. indoors.. where all the girls throw crumbled paper on the guy.

how did you achieve that shallow dof... did you use an adapter or you shot from a distance.

-i noticed a little something which was at 00:00:20 with the girl standing in the middle... the sky on the left looks a bit plane and the trees are edgy, too sharp as if they were choped off.. it looks weird and it really stands out.
-at 00:01:26 that looks kinda weird, it maybe alright but i'd do it differently, i'd like print it out and put it in a frame or let it lay down on a table and pan from the top or find a way to make it look natural, like u've done with the old dude at 00:02:22 and at 2:22... its good practice to remove reflections from shots.. you could clearly find out where the lights were in that shot from the TV.

i like the whole idea.. you show shots of people getting back together and then a dolly movement of them together.. its like this family is together... and now this one... and the old fella found his peace.. etc.. the happily ever after effect. its bold and its nice. i like it.

the color grading however is just amazing, what really makes this video pop out is how you substituted the white hot spots into mellow-yellow ones.. it looks very filmic.. very trendy and nice. i love the sharpness.. amazing stuff.

Abdulla Bastaki August 13th, 2006 12:19 PM

-sorry reposted by mistake

Michael Younger August 13th, 2006 03:36 PM

Nice work!

Jason Honeycutt August 14th, 2006 11:09 PM

Nice color-work. Do you mind sharing your in-camera settings/specs (detail levels, shutter speed, etc.) with us (before color-correction) in post? The images look really rich and they pop nicely, especially the long-lens footage of the girl on the swing and the lady looking out of her window.

Mike Quick August 15th, 2006 10:07 PM

Nice Work! I'm really excited to see this kind of quality from this camera! It makes me glad I bought it. I like the whole presentation. I don't see much that needs to be changed, everyone would do something a little different.

I must echo the sentiment of the above replies to your posting about your lighting configurations and color settings. Done in post or in camera( the color settings that is)?

Again, really nice look1

Mike

Jeff Ray August 15th, 2006 10:11 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I'm so glad you like it. I can't really give you a detailed analysis of the settings on the camera. All I know is I shot it in 720/24p at 24 frames and 60 frames for slow-mo. All color work was done in post production using final cut pro's CC. As for lighting, I own 8 fluorescent lights (that I bought for another music video I directed, www.suitedproductions.com/dte_stuck_small.html is the link to that video) and I just used three of them for any lighting purposes. All the lighting for the performance footage was natural sunlight.

So I hope that answers some questions! And again, thanks for the comments!

Mike Quick August 15th, 2006 10:48 PM

Hey Jeff, one more quick question. I know I know, I need to learn and do more with this camera so I can actually contribute. Anyway, did you use the standard lens or did you use any of the adapters out there?

thanks,

Mike

Niels Neeskens August 16th, 2006 03:48 AM

Really nice work, love the colors as well...