HVX200 FCP Filter Render Times? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM   #1
New Boot

HVX200 FCP Filter Render Times?

I decided it's time to upgrade my setup to HD and was initially looking to HDV on account of the dramatically lower cost-of-entry. I started in with a Sony last week and the HDV format takes forever to render typical filters (MB, Nattress, FCP-native, as well as any other significant filter/time adjustment).

For example (using Nattress as it runs Universal on both my systems): on my Mactel 2Ghz it took 16 minutes to render a 30 second clip and on my Dual 2GHz G5 it took just a bit longer. Sticking with the G5 I tried Magic Bullet too and it also seemed to take painfully long - long even considering I was dealing with significantly more image data.

My none-to-short lead-up, to the HVX gang - do you all find your effects render faster? Close to real-time? I would think avoiding the whole HDV GOP bit would accelerate things a good bit more. I know it's kinda hard to quantify ~ but appreciate the input all the same.
Don Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

it's tough to play clips in real time using the magic bullet filters even on a g5, you can switch your playback settings to skip frames if your processor can't handle it... that's usually what i do. On my powerbook things take years...
Old August 22nd, 2006, 07:47 AM   #3
New Boot

Cool - so Cassidy you find on a G5, while not real time, you can render your clips relatively quickly? Really with HDV it's obscene. Reminds of old G3 rendering MiniDV. Pick a filter and walk away for a couple hours while it renders. By the way, as old hat for you to hear I'm sure, your footage is really sick. i mean really really sick.
Don Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Major Player

This is one of the reasons that I'm happy I bought the HVX200.

I used HDV on two other projects and renders took forever. DVCProHD doesn't render as quickly as SD, but it's MUCH quicker than HDV. I have a G5 with dual 2.0, 5.5 GB RAM, and an Nvidia 6800 video card. Some filters actually use the GPU to render in realtime.
Sam Jankis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Awesome - thanks Sam. That's what I was hoping to hear. Although, my wallet is gonna hate me for the remainder of the year...
Don Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders