NEWBIE here - About to buy..Questions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

NEWBIE here - About to buy..Questions.

Long time reader, first time posting. Great site/info.

I am an actor/musician in LA about to embark on my first feature project with the Panasonic camera.

I have a few questions to start with.

I plan on using the p2 reader (what's the actual name of the p2 reader and best rough price?) and buy 2 8 gb cards, 3 if I can break my piggy bank ;) I've read the forums on the Firestore and I'm leaning on the 8 gig cards from the discussions I've read on this site. Buying the new MacBook Pro as well to have onsite during shooting. If anyone has an opinion about which way to go to convince me a certain way, I'm more than welcome to hear your thoughts.

I plan on shooting on 720 versus 1080to use the under/over cranking fucntion as that fucntion will be usd a bit in py project -- any ideas on why I shouldn't versus 1080?

Wide angle lens -- I keep hearing century optics...Any ideas? Which specific wide angle lens is best?

Best hard case for travelling? Adequate but solid tripod? Macintosh/Final Cut Pro ideas...Stuff like that would be great as well.

Basically, I am looking for as much advice for someone to impart to me, having owned and used the camera, what the best ideas are - technically and financially -- to learn from other people's 'mistakes' and or findings, as I am trying to get the best bang for my buck and technically smoother than bumpy...So, any and all insight is welcome and much appreciated.

The more someone could walk me through the ABC's of it all the better. I super appreciate any help in advance!
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Major Player

I suggest you buy Barry Greens book about the HVX,
which can be purchased on the net.
It will answer all your questions and more!
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Lots of questions here and no time to write the volumes needed to answer.

I personally like the Firestore and it really is the only hard driver player as of the moment (lots of issues reported with CitiDisk and Cineporter not released yet).

A good workflow could be 3 4 gig P2 cards and a P2 Store. Fill a card, pop it into P2 store, insert empty card and just keep rotating. If you are editing in field, Mac Book Pro is a good solution with that. Mac Book Pro is less than optimal if you don't have Firestore or P2 Store since there is no PC slot on Mac Pro. there should be a PC 3/4 to PCMCIA adaptor soon.

Shooting 720 would be fine for most purposes.

Lots of people like the Cartoni Focus tripod. I have a Sachtler DV 4 and like it with some reservations... insufficient counterbalance adjustment. But I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just like the solid feel of Sachtler's.

Pelican case would work. If you are flying, the 1510 conforms to carry-on dimensions.

Century is a great add-on lens. Before you spend the $$$, just see if the standard lens is wide enough for you.

Memorize Barry's book.

Good luck.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Re : book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schrengohst
I suggest you buy Barry Greens book about the HVX,
which can be purchased on the net.
It will answer all your questions and more!

Thanks for the tip Mike -- is it really 90 bucks on line? Is it worth it? Sounds like it can't hurt...just curious. Thanks for the tip!
Justin Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Gracias Ned

'Ppreciate the sound advice/info...very cool.

Last quick thing --- so you like the Firestore? I have read mixed things...was thinking of getting 2 8 gig cards, with MacBook Pro versus the Firestore...any last thoughts?

Gracias...
Justin Connor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders