DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Ramping - Over/Undercranking with the HVX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/76043-ramping-over-undercranking-hvx.html)

Sam Jankis September 22nd, 2006 04:22 PM

Ramping - Over/Undercranking with the HVX

Does anyone have any shooting/editing ideas on how to smoothly ramp up/down the framerate?

I'd like to shoot at regular speed and seamlessly slow it down. I've tried a few things in FCP, but I'm not satisfied. Should I shoot it all slomo and then use an editing technique (?) to ramp up to normal speed?

Peter Jefferson September 22nd, 2006 08:06 PM

Does anyone have any shooting/editing ideas on how to smoothly ramp up/down the framerate?

U dont, u either have it on or off...
BUT
in editing, depending on ur NLE u can always adjust the speed and finish off on the origianl frame rate..

I'd like to shoot at regular speed and seamlessly slow it down.

((Youd have to record it in slow mot, in FCP ramp it up to whatever woul dbe the ORIGINAL Realtime speed.. the slowly crank it down.. FCP MIGHT not have to interpolate the frames once it hits the overcranked recorded frames.. i think Shake (or was it motion??) does better slowmo that FCP on its own though... ))

I've tried a few things in FCP, but I'm not satisfied. Should I shoot it all slomo and then use an editing technique (?) to ramp up to normal speed?

((yes))

Jon Fairhurst September 22nd, 2006 10:55 PM

It would be amazingly cool to have a physical frame rate knob on the camera - even if it worked in steps, though continuous would be way cooler. When shooting water, we wanted to record at a few different frame rates. It would have been really nice to just film for a while, tweak, film a bit more, tweak, etc. As it was, we had to stop recording each time and button through the sideways menus.

There's always room for improvement!

Jonathan Lennard September 23rd, 2006 03:01 AM

on film, the best way to do this is to shoot in slow motion at speed rates that are in multiples of pal/or Ntsc rates...if your project is 30FPS, you shoot at 60...
When you accelerate this back to 30, it should look fine. Sometimes this does not work so well. You can frame cut, image by image. In any case, don't forget that a ramp, by the nature of the beast, is an effect, and will look strange. We usually ramp with a three or four speed changes over a second.

Geoff Mark September 30th, 2006 02:54 PM

The tried & true method is to shoot as overcranked (60 fps+) as reasonable & speed up in post. Any NLE should be able to handle that.

If you have standard speed footage and want to slow it down, the Twixtor plugin for After Effects does absolute wonders. It interprets each pixel & does its best to recreate the missing frames. I've used it in projects down to 1/4 speed, and done tests down to 1/50 speed. Still relatively smooth.

Given a choice, though, I'd rather have some 48fps or 60fps footage to make it work right.

Matt Burton October 1st, 2006 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Jankis

You can use the twixtor plugin to do just that, bearing in mind it's quite a steep learning curve at first but i love it.

www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm (link to plugin)
www.steadiforum.com/virus7.mov (link to a music vid I used twixtor on)

Sam Jankis October 1st, 2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Burton
You can use the twixtor plugin to do just that, bearing in mind it's quite a steep learning curve at first but i love it.

www.revisionfx.com/rstwixtor.htm (link to plugin)
www.steadiforum.com/virus7.mov (link to a music vid I used twixtor on)

Wow... thanks!