DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   P2 LOG: .xml file created. Do I NEED IT? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-p2hd-dvcpro-hd-camcorders/76411-p2-log-xml-file-created-do-i-need.html)

Paul Whishaw September 28th, 2006 06:55 PM

P2 LOG: .xml file created. Do I NEED IT?

I have just started using P2 Log to convert my P2 recorded clips to QT files instead of using FCP. My question is why does P2 Log create an .xml file outside of the folder where the converted video is being put. DO I need to keep this file?

I was recently working with BWF audio files and if you moved any of the files from the folder where they were converted they would go offline in FCP and be useless.

I am currently in Japan and before I start deleating footage from cards and drives, I want to make sure I don't lose anything.

Ben Gurvich September 28th, 2006 09:43 PM

in my experience yes.And copy the log file over first for an apparant faster xfer. not 100% sure on that

Paul Whishaw September 28th, 2006 11:04 PM

So what happens??

So what happens if the video files are seperated from the .xml document that is created?

I don't really want to test this out for fear of messing something up.

In the past I just copied the P2 data to a drive and then converted using FCP. However, FCP seems to add a .mov extension to the end of the files and this has been causing HUGE problems later in our workflow when we try and Media Manage projects. I guess the .mov, followed by the -1, -2 or whatever naming scheme FCP has makes the clips unrecognizable and relinking projects has been a nightmare.

The flow we are hoping to attain is to convert the P2 files using P2 Log, rename the files with proper names including scene, description, take etc and then backing that up. Before we were keeping the P2 data as a backup, or tape if you will, and then converting in FCP, keeping the goofy naming scheme the camera comes up with and typing in the descriptions of the footage in FCP. If anyone else wants to use the footage however, they have to start with the FCP project file to keep all the descriptors, instead of having the files themselves cleverly named.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to hearing how others handle workflow and media management. Cheers.

Ben Gurvich September 29th, 2006 02:22 AM

Having only used it for one shoot I dont really have any more info than what i was given at the time by the DP.

Cheers,
Ben

Robert Monk September 29th, 2006 09:33 PM

We havent been saving it, but we havent been doing anything in P2 Log other than converting the footage to QT.

I think if you are marking clips, and logging user clip names, then you should save it.

It's a pretty small file. May as well save it till you get back home and backup the media. Then experiment